Apple admits tats are a problem for Watch

This. Skin, irrespective of colour, is pretty translucent as a substance.

Tattoo ink, depending on the colour, is a combination of carbon (in the form of ash) and other non-translucent things like iron.

1 Like

If Apple knew then they would’ve put it in the FAQ beforehand. It’s reasonable to assume that only when it got on the wrists of millions of non-beta testers did Apple see it was a problem.

While this is a huge first-world waste of time and a beat up, the words “admit” and “problem” are appropriate. They previously didn’t make reference to any problems - now tats are included in their What else affects your reading? section. Are tats a problem for their watch? Yes. They affect heart-beat readings.

While wrist-only tattoos are pretty rare (except for the inside of the wrist, you tend to see a lot of those, but that wouldn’t be an issue unless you wore your apple watch on the inside of your wrist)… Sleeve tattoos are becoming more and more common.

This is very true, but everyone I know with sleeve tattoos ends them around the lower forearm so that they’re covered by shirt sleeves; a watch wouldn’t cover them. I know that some people have tats that come down to their wrists, but I’m guessing that the overlap of “people with heavy, dark wrist tattoos” and “people plunking down money for an Apple Watch” is low enough that Apple wasn’t too concerned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.