Apple's fastest new MacBook Pro is slowed down by heat

Premiere getting the thing to overheat sounds to me like Premiere manages to make full use of both the CPU and GPU at the same time, which, on non-overheating hardware, is the best way to achieve maximum throughput.
This is not that easy to do; it takes quite some effort to make sure that the CPU never has to wait for the GPU and the GPU never has to wait for the CPU. It sounds like the other video editing apps were all running slightly sub-optimally for properly-designed hardware.

It wouldn’t surprise me. Intel, AMD and nVidia all test in development products on common bench marks. Especially comparative ones like geek bench and CPUz. And AMD and Intel seem to do a lot more of it for CPUs.

But the thing is that since those programs post leader boards or include pre-loaded lists of scores. They seem to be a huge source of leaks. So when manufacturers work directly with them to get a new chip identified and tested properly, usually close to release, they pop up with all sorts of details in those lists and people can find them and see the details of the chips. Even when you’re talking prototypes and they disguise them as something else to fool the software. People catch an existing processor, but hey it has weird clocks, And a different number of cores. And the score is way different than other processors at those settings.

So I’m sure they’re using the same benchmarks as anyone else. And I’m sure they’re pretty far along since they claim they’re putting them out in 2 years. I’m not sure if they’d be far enough along to be messing with that sort of benchmark. Since there doesnt even seem to be rumors about what those processors may look like. And I don’t think we’ve seen any of those bench mark leaks.

geekbench tells a user whether they’re going to have a good time on the web. But what if you need more than that?

One of things to remember with the high core counts is that your software has to be able to take advantage of all those cores.

For joe user, most of those cores are going to be sitting idle, or pretty close to it, depending on the software that they are running. (example: the win7 machine I’m typing this one has chrome, Outlook 2013, Lync/Skype for business, and the vCenter client all open and sitting there; the bucket is sitting at or under 10% total usage across it’s cores. (i5-4570T)

1 Like

I think it involves a sketchy south east Asian air-conditioner.

And a big reason for that has been Intel’s refusal to increase core counts in consumer hardware. They were still shipping 2 core CPUs without multiple threads until months ago.

But as performance gains have slowed for CPUs multithreading and using more cores is becoming more and more common. Like that’s the lazy take on CPUs for gaming. Single thread is everything, games don’t multithreading, And dont use more than x cores. But x has gone up rapidly the past few years, And more and more games are being built to scale with threads and cores. There’s just only do many places to improve performance.

And at this point the entire server market has moved to as many efficient. Often kinda slow. Cores at you can cram in a chip. Which is why those ARM chips often sound so attractive. The server market is the bigger profit sector. But for one reason or anothet it seems like the ARM chips just can’t cut it. On paper it’s great. Very low power, very low heat, small so you can cram a ton of them in. All of the cores all of the time. But it never seems to shake out in practice.

On high core count processors being not useful for ordinary computer tasks:

No, it’s because making software that parallelizes well is hard. For most of the kinds of software that computers are commonly used for (web browsers, office suites, etc), making it run well on lots of slow cores is significantly more difficult than making it run well on just one fast core.

2 Likes

That is pretty much what I was trying to put forth- parallelization is hard.
Granted, we had a fun time getting a specific processor speed with as many cores as Intel could reliably cram into that die running at that speed- the server is an ESX host that has a machine running on it which has some rather specific processor requirements. :frowning:

1 Like

I said “a” reason not “the” reason.

But when 90% of the market is at a maximum of 4 cores there’s no real reason to do the hard thing. Particularly for low draw program that aren’t likely going to Max out a single core to begin with.

Otherwise exactly many weak cores hasn’t worked. Even in servers where many low clocked cores is normal, they want those low clocked cores to be powerful at a given clock. That seems to be what’s holding back the ARM cores and its what killed AMD with their last architecture. Strong cores and more of them would appear to be the thing.

Gaming laptops like the Asus ROGs also tend to be quite powerful desktop replacements. When I had one, it had double the RAM of standard PCs, an i7 when i3s were typical, and intakes/exhausts like jet engines. The only time I managed to overheat it was doing some very CPU+GPU intensive stuff in >105°F/40°C ambient temperatures, but that’s understandable. Although they’re sold for gaming, they can really crank through database queries and, given the good graphics cards, I would imagine video editing as well. They are a little thicker than a mac, but they usually have plenty of I/O ports so you don’t need to haul around a bag full of dongles, making them actually smaller, lighter, and easier to travel with.

1 Like

I’ve seen more of them purchased for video and audio work than gaming. There are a few essentially identical laptops out there sans XXXXTTTRREEEMMMMMMEEE branding and RGB everything. Marketed as performance laptops. Its a category that’s existed for a good long while. Although 10 years or so ago they were often absurdly thick and like 12 pounds.

Nah, they are still big, clunky, heavy as shit, and for a special kind of weirdo. They live at your desk because even if the battery lasted a reasonable amount of time you wouldn’t want that kind of heat blasting on your genitals for very long. And by desk I just mean flat surface next to a power outlet because that is where you will be working for the foreseeable future. This is all to say that they’re less laptops than desktop computers you can take on a plane with fewer funny looks. Which is great if that’s what you want but calling them smaller and lighter because you don’t need a dinky dongle is a little disingenuous.

“Right. But I have an i9.”

2 Likes

Nah just throw more threads at it, that’ll solve everything.

I wonder why posts that are so easily and obviously debunked not taken down?

Good to know, thx for the info!

And after all the negative press, it turns out that there was a problem with the firmware; the latest update from Apple solves the throttling issue by actually turning up the fans when things get hot.

2 Likes

The specifics:

1 Like

so you’ve personally tested this, and your laptop now sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.