Are remote-firing gun drones legal?

Neither do I, but many people don’t think that clearly yet talk very loudly.

Dog-gun-it?

Ah, if only I were a prankster with a time machine…

The worst thing is, I’m sure this is true.
Exactly how dangerous do you have to be in the US before you’re no longer allowed a gun, or is that just a stupid question?

6 Likes

The real scary thing about this isn’t what killers or terrorists can do with it, it’s that complete morons will think this is an awesome idea, try it out and accidentally hurt or kill someone.

3 Likes

If you don’t buy this magazine, this dog will kill us?

3 Likes

I, for one, am all for banning dogs before they start using drone-mounted guns to kill us.

2 Likes

You have to be a felon or certifiably mentally ill to be barred in many states, though in some states licensing requirements are somewhat stricter. But neither of those two statuses are reliably checked by gun dealers in the laxer states, so pretty much anyone can get a gun who wants to without even having to buy from a criminal.

The 2nd Amendment isn’t carte blanche to own any type of weapon, even some items to modify existing legal arms are illegal (silencers), so it’s not unreasonable to see this as something that could be banned.

1 Like

As long as we still have the right to arm bears.

5 Likes

Don’t worry all of the drones will be given one copy of the laws of robotics to share.

1 Like

I don’t know, I remember the beltway sniper being pretty scary, mostly because there was no idea who was doing it or even how exactly. I haven’t seen anyone else say it yet - if arms for self defense are the legal justification how does a device that can anonymously kill at a distance fit that bill? Might as well make landmines and missiles available at Walmart if you still feel safe in a world where anyone could shoot you in the face from a laptop while hiding someplace nowhere near you or any witnesses. If someone murders me there’s some faint comfort that they would need to escape the scene unseen to be able to commit the crime again, and this bypasses that entirely.

Just another kind of payload. Nothing much to see (except perhaps how the drone handles the recoil and how accurate the aiming platform is - could a beefed gimbal be used for more accurate aiming? Perhaps with a recoilless gun?).

Todo: invent a panties untwister for the people.

Edit: could the gimbal be designed to react in real time and counteract the recoil? Or perhaps get the device mounted with barrel in axis of the gimbal? Getting the mechanism to stiffen (or to counter-push with exact timing, possibly tunable by coaxial laser and tracking the beam over a sensor array, or a decollimated beam in a circle over four sensors like CDROM laser tracking is done, for way faster response than the lousy 60-or-less fps of common cameras, or using a Casio Exilim high-framerate cam) at just the right time would not even need that much of additional battery power, only some milliseconds of high force (and high coil current) are needed.

I mean, yes, technically, it is just another kind of payload. That doesn’t make it a good idea, nor a legal one. That ain’t a predator, it’s a damn quadcopter…

That’s not an argument to not try a different payload. Repurposing platforms for payloads they were not designed/intended for is one of the core tenets of hacking.

As for myself, I’d suggest to try with a shotgun, possibly with exotic ammo (Dragon’s breath, for example; the drone then could be codenamed Puff). For bonus points, allow loading in-flight to allow selecting between ammunition types.

Have you people honestly never heard of such things prior to this YouTuber?

So, what if they replace their pistol with missiles? There are quite a few systems with those.

How do we distinguish between flying a prototype for research versus actual deployment?

1 Like

I like guns, but that is scary as fuck.

But did he do it with a drone?!

I like drones, but this is scary as fuck.

1 Like

The scariest part I see there is the tuning of the PID controllers for the high-magnitude momentary disturbance of the recoil.

The ideal weapon for short to medium range defense against a drone has got to be a shotgun.

You want heavy pellets so that they will not only knock it out of the air but also physically damage hardware. And you want the shot light enough that you can carry a lot of pellets in one shell, upping your hit rate. My guess is that #1 or #2 shot would be ideal. Those are typical loads for geese and swan.

Buckshot, of course, is the typical ideal load for a shotgun, but you only get something like 15 pellets in each hull, and they’re so big (around .30) that they overpenetrate pretty reliably.

Of course, on the go you could also carry one of Taurus’ many handguns that shoot .410 rounds. But then your range is diminished considerably due to a smaller shot cloud with each blast, because .410 shells are much less voluminous than 12ga shells. Might as well go with buckshot in that case.

1 Like