Armada, by Ernest Cline: a joyous, rollicking read

I mostly liked it in the way I mostly like Harry Potter. I found myself attracted to the characters and the idea, but still, every once in a while, the fact that the writing was just average kept nagging at the back of mind mind - much like Harry Potter.

The writing, to me, seemed like it was more of a YA novel, but the language and some concepts seemed too adult for a YA novel, so I felt like the book couldn’t decide what it wanted to be.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat-I loved Ready Player One, but now getting a little antsy about having pre-ordered this one. I’m glad now that when pre-ordering I specified to have it downloaded to my wife’s kindle first. She reads very quickly, and makes a very good guinea pig for books I’m not sure about. (Of course, she just thinks I’m being nice.)

I believe the cultural touchstone being referenced is closer to “The Last Starfighter.”

Wait, why are we sending kids to fancy internet school instead of making them just work down at the mill?

I enjoyed it as well, but as an audiobook read by Mister Crusher, and I feel his reading of the text is what kept it going for me despite the onslaught of everything 80s.

I’m kind of disappointed that everyone is talking about THIS instead of what I want to discuss.

I’m really curious to read this because the review discusses the implications of how we discuss aliens. I’m tempted to put that meme of the doofus saying “Aliens” to illustrate what a large percentage of people think; not only about aliens, but what they think about people who believe in them. (did it - why not)

But serious people wonder about this too; the Fermi paradox - given the size of the universe, where are all the aliens? (Fermi Paradox) was quantified a decade later by the Drake equation (explanation is in previous link). My point is that it’s not ridiculous to at least think about them, and what we might do. I enjoyed the first book, and the reviewer’s comment regarding this aspect of the new story has sold me on this one.

I remember about 15 years ago my uncle had Kofi Annan (Secretary General of the UN) over to his house for dinner. My uncle isn’t famous or rich or anything, it’s just that they were friends in college and had kept in touch the whole time. I can’t remember the details of whether I was invited and couldn’t go, or wasn’t invited but wanted to be, or what. So my friends and family were discussing this and talking about what we would ask him about if we had that opportunity.

My suggestion was Aliens. It was so roundly derided you’d think I had suggested we talk about, well, I don’t know what, but in any case my idea was clearly the stupidest suggestion. But my hypothesis was (and is) that if anyone should have plans for what or how do deal with aliens, it’s the UN. I would ask him if he had ever seriously considered it and if there was a plan or anything.

I really wonder what he would have said?

Why is that such a stupid question?

1 Like

It’s about time someone did a novelization of The Last Starfighter.

Sponsored by who, exactly? It doesn’t say, and the only ad that appears on the page is for Armada itself.

When ever I see the cover art. I can’t help thinking that due to a gross miscalculation in scale the entire invading fleet could be eaten by a small dog.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.