Art, artists, and art news

Yes, that sounds like a very tall order. Still, I hope it succeeds

3 Likes

Apparently decent response, except for beers being opened and notifications pinging.

4 Likes

RIP photorealist painter Martin Mull:

7 Likes
5 Likes

6 Likes

18 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

Short animated movies made by the students of the french school Gobelins for the Annecy Animation Festival that pay homage to Portugal this year.

[GLORIEUX EDEN - Annecy Festival 2024 (youtube.com)]

GOBELINS at the Annecy Festival 2024 (gobelins-school.com)

7 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

25th anniversary of the irish cartoon studio Cartoon Saloon.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I’m in two minds about this. It is pretty clever and coins are pretty sturdy, especially ones chosen for a handling collection, so there wasn’t much danger of causing damage. And their legal argument about it never leaving the premises is interesting.

What I don’t like is that they abused the trust of being handed a museum object. As the museum representative says, this just leads to fewer public interaction like that being able to be offered.

Also, they chose an English coin to make a point about repatriation?

ETA: on reflection, the English coin makes sense in the sense of “how do you like it if your stuff is stolen?”

11 Likes

The British Museum is not in a position to tolerate conceptual art pranks involving theft.

It’s clever, in a legalistic way. Unless the coins from the collecting boxes are sorted before they are bagged and taken to the bank, there is an argument to be made that the artist knowingly risked the coin being removed from the museum premises.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t they have to count the coins before they go to the bank? I mean, for accounting purposes?

4 Likes

It depends on whether they can rely on the bank to count the coins for them or are required to count them independently. Either way Sartuzi’s argument rests on the presumption that the coin would definitely be spotted before it left the museum, which is dubious given that he had replaced it with a replica and the museum may well have been unaware of its loss when the collection boxes were emptied.

3 Likes

It’s fun to charter an accountant.

2 Likes

I don’t think that would make a difference under UK criminal law, but IANAL.

Via Wikipedia: "The marginal note to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968 describes it as a “basic definition” of theft. Sections 1(1) and (2) provide:

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."

Bold text mine.

2 Likes

Without knowing anything about the artist, it could appear ironic that a Portuguese-speaking Brazilian should choose to make his art-prank about English colonisation by taking a precious metal coin.

Sartuzi comes from a country that was colonised; he ‘stole’ – an English object, no less – from the British Museum, long a symbol of imperialism with an infamy for its array of historically thieved items.

2 Likes