Art in Architecture

Yeah, when I toured Hollyhock House some years back I was amazed to find door jambs at eye level.

A decade ago, my wife and I were house-hunting for our first home. We had a taste for Craftsman styles and ended up buying a nice 1909 one with reasonable head clearance, but I was surprised to see just how many of those houses have door frames and even some ceiling support beams that are barely six feet off the floor.

2 Likes

Oof. Just discovered that that kitchen with Adam Scott and Reese Witherspoon in it isn’t a set. It’s in an actual $14 million Malibu mansion.

Supposedly he used himself as the model of The Ideal Man to design his houses around, from the furniture to the doors to the walkways. There’s a reason he was the model of the idealized man when Rand wrote Fountainhead.

The weirdest thing about Fallingwater – which is truly an amazing work of art worth experiencing, a singular vision in which virtually everything in the house was designed by Wright, from the furniture to the textiles – was that during the tour, the guides kept stressing the preservation work they were doing and how they were keeping everything exactly as Wright intended, down to the plants outside, but at the end, they said “Now, follow us into the Wright-designed garage,” the inside of which they had torn out to make their fundraising offices.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.