Asteroid discovered just before it impacted earth's atmosphere

WIKI info on this is pretty interesting; I think I’ll search this one out.

1 Like

In a time

much larger than the age of the universe

1 Like

Asteroid discovered just before it impacted earth’s atmosphere

Just enough time for my bowels to empty with terrifying speed.

Dinosaur-Killer Asteroids: The Ultimate Suppository

2 Likes

I’ve seen it, and the write-up on IMDB sounds about right to me.
Worth watching.

1 Like

No, it would never consume the Earth. The radiation pressure (mainly from the Hawking radiation at that size but possibly also form some residual rotation) would prevent any mass-energy from crossing the event horizon. A micro-black hole is basically a runaway bomb directly converting its mass into radiation. That’s why even a very small micro-black hole could cause such a large explosion.

The problem is that it would have to be at the right moment in it’s evaporation to make it as far as Earth’s atmosphere and release its final energy exactly as it approached the surface in Siberia. To say the odds are against this is a cosmic understatement.

And moreover, for it to have been a natural black hole, it would have had to have been one of the primordial black holes left over from the early universe - which aside from being still highly hypothetical, are poorly understood even if they do or did exist. Any stellar black hole won’t be reaching that point its evaporation for trillions of years.

But it’s still a fun idea!

“It’s a big-ass sky, sir.”

2 Likes

Let’s hope not, because that’s how you get Krikkit.

As for this recent event, I’m thinking Giant Meteor is considering another run in 2020.

3 Likes

Why not both?
Like the micro black hole being a result of the ship’s drive malfunctioning?

1 Like

In astrophysicist and science fiction author David Brin’s novel Earth (which has been described as the Moby Dick of the Whole Earth movement), an interesting extraterrestrial explanation is given for it. Alas, he didn’t take into account radiation pressure at the event horizon (or possibly took literary license).

Enjoy!

Venus was a recurring theme in Soviet science fiction in part because the USSR focused on unmanned missions to Venus and even planned a sadly never undertaken manned flight there. The Soviets had some amazingly talented engineers and cosmonauts, but alas they never received the support and funding that NASA did even during the height of the space race.

The Electric Dragon of Venus, actual Russian recording of the eldritch electrical storms on the surface…

The Russians had an expression, die with music (roughly to go out with a bang), for how they designed their probes on a shoestring budget and a prayer.

And Touchdown Jesus was destroyed fending off the last attack.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.