Man killed by meteorite Saturday, first case in modern history

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Yesterday my fortune cookie said soon you will earn great distinction.

Now Iā€™m worried.

17 Likes

On a purely actuarial basis, 200 people are killed every year by meteors (7 billion people/35 million years).

4 Likes

Surely you want the total human population for that period? Or, maybe the average human population? But Iā€™m not terribly sure what the 35 million years represents.

2 Likes

Somewhere a cocky insurance agent is saying ā€œwho doesnā€™t need the extended coverage NOW?ā€

2 Likes

I think we get extinction level events about every 35MM years, yes?

Iā€™m not buying term asteroid insurance, though. This is one place where whole might actually be the better buy.

1 Like

Iā€™m highly skeptical that this was a meteorite strike. Let me know when scientists present any real evidence.

1 Like

Chicxulub was 65 million years ago, but I donā€™t know when the previous big, extinction-level meteor strike was, and we donā€™t know when the next Chicxulub is due. So I think your math is off.

2 Likes

I guess it could have been an IED, but I donā€™t know that a bus driver would have been a high-value target for Tamil separatists.

2 Likes

Well, if ā€œmodern historyā€ includes 1908, then we can probably assume quite a few people were killed by the ā€œTunguska Eventā€, which was either an asteroid or a comet. The fact that it was in such an isolated area and there was no immediate investigation means we donā€™t have proof anyone died, but the local Siberian tribes certainly believe they lost people that day.

7 Likes

19 Likes

@DevinC seems more interested in distinction-level events.

4 Likes

Iā€™d never heard that. It makes sense, but every account of it Iā€™ve read makes no mention of Siberians at all.

5 Likes

You always hear the phrase ā€œno known casualtiesā€, but I recently watched a BBC documentary on it, and that was the first time I ever heard the Evenki tribeā€™s account-- they treat the anniversary of it like a solemn occasion. They are/were a nomadic people, and with 900 square miles of flattened, scorched trees, it does seem probable that a few were within the blast radius.

6 Likes

Seems prejudiced to discount this completely just because the official government death confirmer didnā€™t go there with his stamp.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following this story through a listserv dedicated to meteorites. According to what is now known, it appears to have been a mishap with some dynamite, which was apparently stored in the area. The injuries the man ā€˜killed by meteoriteā€™ suffered are not consistent with impact, rather explosion and burning (BTW, if you want to look at pictures of someone struck by a meteorite, search for Sylacauga and Hodges). The ā€˜recovered meteoriteā€™ doesnā€™t show any of the characteristics of a fresh meteorite fall. Iā€™m calling shenanigans.

8 Likes

So what are the odds compared to, say, winning the Powerball lottery?

1 Like

You forgot about Jordy Verrill:

3 Likes

in my case, infinitely higher.

1 Like