At least 12 dead after fire guts London high-rise where residents complained about safety for years

“Arms-length management” sounds better than “plausible deniability”.

3 Likes

According to this story, there was a lack of “fire stopping” between each floor, which guarantees rapid, “chimney effect” spread once the fire starts… http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-fire-cladding-idUKKBN19538U

2 Likes
2 Likes

Bizarrely the UK media is apparently suppressing all reporting on the true number of missing people.

There’s speculation that it could be as large as the Piper Alpha or Herald of Free Enterprise disasters.

1 Like

I pointed out to a Trump supporter that this is why regulations are often a good idea. He responded that if you live in a defective home, it’s your own fault if something like this happens.

Trump supporters can be really stupid.

7 Likes

And/or heartless.

8 Likes

It’s normally used by non-profits. It means that profits can’t be paid out as dividends, because there are no shareholders, only “guarantors.” I think that would be local Council officials, in this case? They are the “owners,” not that it means much in the case of a nonprof.

I’m not sure they’re suppressing it. Everyone - fire, police, media - seems to being really careful about trying to stick to a common, verifiable version of reality.

There are plausible estimates of how many people lived there (120 apartments, with ~4 per apartment = 4-600), and totals for people in hospital (~70 was the last number I saw(WTLNIS)) and in emergency accommodation (~300 WTLNIS), plus known dead (17 WTLNIS).

I assume is the number of fatalities is what the police and fire are being especially careful about releasing, in order to avoid double or triple counting. But that care necessarily slows things down, which can superficially appear to be ‘suppression of information’ … and I guess in a way it is, but for good reason.

Noting that the WTLNIS numbers are from different times, the people so far accounted for is around 400. My guess is that the final total of fatalities will be around 100. Which is horrific and appalling for a reasonably modern building in the heart of a G7 capital.

Regulations save lives.

6 Likes

THIS  

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.