At least 135 dead in massive Beirut explosion, thousands injured

4 Likes

A huge explosion of a fireworks warehouse that occurred in México some years ago.

3 Likes

Video with fireworks…

Damn.

15 Likes

That poor person holding the camera behind all that glass. :frowning:

25 Likes

I’d wager its Red-fuming Nitric Acid (RFNA). Used as a rocket propellant. Or some other nitric compound as others said above.

8 Likes

The Lebanese government is saying it was caused by thousands of tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been offloaded six years ago from a Moldovan vessel. The red colour is almost certainly nitrogen dioxide which is one of the products of burning ammonium nitrate.

AN is usually safe, but it has a history of becoming unstable as it gradually ages and oxidises. It is most notorious for causing the 1947 Texas City explosion:

14 Likes

Donald the Ignorant, in his presser about 30 mins ago, said he had spoken with some “very good generals” and that Beirut was a bomb attack. He really said that. God help us.

23 Likes

It’s all China’s fault for inventing fireworks coming in 3,2,…

15 Likes

thats actually what it turned out to be once people had a chance to dig into the situation.

a place there had been storing fertilizer for years in poor conditions. guess it waited for 2020 it pop cause it wanted to contribute to the general chaos

5 Likes

Like the Halifax explosion there must have been many people in the streets watching the initial fire, then the full blast happens.

6 Likes

Bill Barr and Stephen Miller probably leapt into action to attempt to place the blame on mail-in voting, the Democrats, and Hunter Biden.

9 Likes

Jesus!!!

2 Likes

Also, the 2000 fireworks disaster in Enschede:

3 Likes

mdot_green_ooze
I-696 green ooze came from Madison Heights factory and photos inside are shocking - green slime on I-696 is hexavalent chromium

The SOB who owns this joint also has lots of toxic crap stored on an old industrial property about a mile N of me!

A team of Detroit reporters visited the prick’s property out in the country, and spotted some large mysterious barrels stored there, too. They reported it to the EPA, but apparently the mystery barrels were moved off-site before the inspectors arrived!

10 Likes

nice maps

3 Likes

Evidently there was near enough to 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate that went up. OK, there was a fireworks factory fire and my understanding of explosives is deficient but isn’t AN supposed to be wet with DFO in order to become an explosive? Is fire sufficient to cause AN to detonate?

4 Likes

Ammonium nitrate can go boom by itself, especially if it is impure, poorly stored etc. All that nitrogen wants to be gas! ANFO is more reliable and stable, hence it’s used when you’re purposefully trying to blow something up.

And yes, fire can be enough, in a confined space where the stuff can’t just burn or deflagrate in (extremely relative) peace.

12 Likes

One fifth the size of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. I’m surprised the death toll was so small.

7 Likes

Sounds like they’ve been trying for years to get rid of a stash of ammonium nitrate offloaded from a disabled (and subsequently abandoned) cargo ship.

8 Likes

As an explosive, Ammonium Nitrate isn’t as efficient as TNT.
HAZARDOUS PROPERTIES OF AMMONIUM NITRATE AND MODELING OF EXPLOSIONS USING TNT EQUIVALENCY

and it wasn’t designed as a bomb.

4 Likes