At this library, you borrow people instead of books

Originally published at: At this library, you borrow people instead of books | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This doesn’t play quite the same now as it would have 20 years ago. There is more awareness now that not everyone is on an equal footing, and “civility” can be a euphemism for “knowing your place”.

It’s not that empathy isn’t a good thing – it’s just not much use if it’s framed as a leisure activity that you can choose to make time for after you’ve taken care of your material interests. Everyone knows comfortable liberals can make polite conversation with the lower classes; the real question is whether they can make polite hiring decisions / political choices / etc.

“Uhm sorry I know I have a three month late fee on this person but could you let it go just this once?”

5 Likes

You’ll have to pay for the “torn jacket”.

6 Likes

sorry but I take offence to this . I always return the people I borrow in the same condition I took them out in.

3 Likes

It’s just a little scrape, you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

what an awesome project.

I would encourage everyone to volunteer, however, their applications are overloaded, and temp closed

Googling how to get on Oprah’s favorite books people list… :nerd_face:

6 Likes

I quite liked their hiring process in Get Out.

3 Likes

“I am Plato’s Republic. Like to read Marcus Aurelius? Mr. Simmons is Marcus.”
“How do you do?” said Mr. Simmons.
“Hello,” said Montag.
“I want you to meet Jonathan Swift, the author of that evil political book, Gulliver’s Travels! And this other fellow is Charles Darwin, and-this one is Schopenhauer, and this one is Einstein, and this one here at my elbow is Mr. Albert Schweitzer, a very kind philosopher indeed. Here we all are, Montag. Aristophanes and Mahatma Gandhi and Gautama Buddha and Confucius and Thomas Love Peacock and Thomas Jefferson and Mr. Lincoln, if you please. We are also Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.”

• Fahrenheit 451
3 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.