AT&T's 1992 VideoPhone was a terrible ... video phone

This was a huge campaign–I remember it quite vividly. So cool to see a lot of those come to pass. Took long enough!

Thanks Rob!

2 Likes

Seriously. I am so grateful for Zoom and other video conferencing systems. Both in the pandemic and just for moving far away from everybody you know they have been a lifesaver.

3 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s Tom Selleck.

1 Like

Look, all I know is if a dude that looks like Paul Riser calls you up on a video phone, hang the fuck up right then and there.

1 Like

I actually knew someone who had one of these. The phone required a BRI so he also had pretty good in-home internet for the early 90s.

I worked for that guy in the late '90s… Total douche!

1 Like

Entertaining ‘review’ of UK 1993 videophone.

I remember the Picturephone from the 64-65 World’s Fair. Wow, that seems a long time ago.

My favorite videophone was in the protagonist’s private airplane - don’t fly and video conference - in the 1935 movie Transatlantic Tunnel. That British flick was a real find on archive.org. It tried to be both hard core science fiction and a four handkerchief women’s weepie.

1 Like

And weren’t they actually good to look at?

But he gave his word that the mission was to destroy the aliens. Not to bring them back for research, but to wipe them out!

1 Like

Absolutely. High speed internet and video conferencing have saved huge sections of the economy during this time. Had this pandemic happened even 10 years ago, the outcome might have been much worse (economically).

Wait forget that, because Obama or even W would have been running things and the pandemic would have been under control in the first six weeks. Never mind. table flip.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. Never mind, everyone, forget what I said!

1 Like

I seem to remember a movie around this time about AT&T…
the thing is when there not funny you forget…

It’s weird, but when I click on that link it doesn’t work - but appears to be trying to link to a trailer for something called ‘Alien 3’. Bizarre and unlikely eh, everyone knows there were no sequels to ‘Aliens’ :wink:

1 Like

There was! It was written by William Gibson, no less!

1 Like

The only way they could have gotten it under control would hev been with an early and strict lockdown, and that would have been impossible or very damaging to the eonomy in a world without high speed internet. So even under their aegis Zoom would have saved us.

Hmm? We had high speed internet under Obama too. I know it seems like forever ago, but it wasn’t that long ago.

Also, you make it sound like controlling this was impossible. What, like almost every other industrial democracy did?A proper quarantine and lockdown followed by masks and distancing is all it took, but our leadership couldn’t manage that. America has half-assed every step of this. Forgive me if I’m missing your point, but it sounds like you’re defending how Trump handled this.

You know what’s really bad for the economy? Two hundred thousand dead people. The general consensus among economists is that a single person’s life regardless of demographic is worth a trillion dollars. Yes, really- trillion. Planet Money did a story on this recently and the old method of measuring productivity of an adult is obsolete and human life of any age is worth vastly more than previously thought. It boils down to any argument about “saving the economy” in this pandemic is conservative propaganda. The numbers don’t add up even close to that being rational policy.