TV show hows to send an email in 1984

[Read the post]

So that was what Fred West was doing before he was DIYing

2 Likes

Does it the whole thing?

Dialing a phone! I can still feel it…nothing like muscle memory.

6 Likes

A rotary phone! Nostalgia!

2 Likes

I particularly like his choice of password…

1 Like

N is for nostalgia.

Totally dig that crazy experimental music over the closing credits!

The phone next to my bed is an old Western Electric rotary. Over the years I replaced it several times with touch-tone phones, which then died at some point. Then back went the immortal Western Electric.

Dude stole my pw.

1 Like

Oh. My. Word.

Chills of recognition doesn’t even come close, followed Database avidly back then. And I had 4 of the machines she mentioned - handbuilt ZX-81, Spectrum (then later a German spec build of the Sinclair QL - better EM shielding, proper DB-9 ports, luxury!), BBC Micro and a Vic 20.

Part of me is actually trying to convince myself it wasn’t 32 years ago… and when I start figuring how much more powerful my Surface Pro (hell, even some of my old smartphones) is to those, something goes pop in my brain.

1 Like

I don’t suppose anyone was able to record/convert/use that program at the end?

“The least successful method is to just place a microphone in front of the television set.” Yeah, I bet it is. If that worked even one out of a hundred times, then it would probably also work just to imitate the sound vocally.

$ LOAD PROGRAM

READY FOR PROGRAM LOAD

ahem “screeEEEeeEEEeeeEEEEeeeeeEEeeEEEeEeEEech.”

PROGRAM LOAD SUCCESSFUL

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.