AT&T's 1993 "You Will" ads, the rightest wrong things ever predicted about the internet

This used to be one of my favorite movies, now it is a little hard to watch because in the real world, the evil end that the protagonists were trying to fight (universal surveillance embodied by mobile phones attached to everyone’s ear) is already here, and was accepted by everyone enthusiastically. (I have trouble reading 1984 for a similar reason.)

5 Likes

You have to look really hard to find a phone booth in Boston these days.

We are at 4, are we? I never kept up with that shit. But I do remember Shatner’s Tek series, written by Goulart. Not exactly snuff.

1 Like
1 Like

I remember seeing it as a youngster on TV. I was fascinated by it partly because I was not yet familiar with the tropes, the conspiracy angle playing against that sort of deadpan bizarre thing. It made a big impact and always stayed with me. I know I’ve seen the opening sequence since then and maybe caught fleeting parts of it again on TV, but watching the clip above just now I felt exactly like you. It was made more bizarre given the ubiquity of our networked world. It’s not a madman’s dream anymore. People want it.
33%20AM
I just want a Dizzy Gillespie for President tshirt.

5 Likes

And I want someone to unearth a new trove of unseen Godfrey Cambridge movies.

4 Likes

Was it?  

I’ll be waiting to check out that whole cart of groceries without unloading the cart until I have a safe flying car. Which is to say, it ain’t ever happening. Curse you, Tom Selleck!

Compared to today, certainly. While much of the optimism was founded on good timing and illusions, during that period the American zeitgeist was genuinely optimistic about the present and the future. The Cold War was over, there was finally traction on social justice issues, the nerds and weirdos were triumphing, the economy seemed to be under control. Right-wingers who wanted to Make America White Great Again were dismissed as cranks. And of course, you could put a bird on something and call it art:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.