AT&T's dystopian advertising vision perfectly illustrates the relationship between surveillance and monopoly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/27/party-like-its-1982-2.html

Of course none of this has to work. AT&T will also have a monopoly on the data showing whether or not these tactics are successful. The massive integration and surveillance isn’t to get you to buy things, it’s to get investors to believe that they can’t convince advertisers that you will buy things. The consumer is just set dressing in a dystopia of wealthy people playing with the corporation trading cards.

9 Likes

So the consumer is both a customer and the product.
MBAgasm.

4 Likes

I think we’re the extras unwittingly hired in a Big Store con.

6 Likes

I may have got too naïve after several years using ad-blocks as default, but I mostly don’t care about those new evil ways of advertising.
I have no idea if ads on internet displaced the traditional ones for being better or merely by being cheaper and a new fashion, because I just don’t see them.
On the other hand, they are much easier to block and ignore than the traditional ones.
If they get too good o influencing people, they would be noticed as a manipulation attempt, and then blocked.

As Humbarella said, it looks more like a investment stunt than a real improvement on ads.
My only concern is that it makes it easier for governments to get a better profile on its citizens, but I’m not sure if it really makes it much worse for us than the current implementations of data harvesting.

2 Likes

this is the gift that keeps on giving

2 Likes

I look forward to my future of being a gay male who wants to buy property in Mexico and retire to Oregon and plays golf. I also really want to have dead people turned into glass ornaments.

Of course not having any ATT services and living in a different county they should not be yet another company that misclasifies me however I will not bet on it.

Blank is beautiful!

2 Likes

This was the 1960s so he could just destroy that computer by asking it Why?

2 Likes

Be seeing you!

3 Likes

Why? Why have you kidnapped me?!

illogical, you are not a kid!

1 Like

Prisoner__Professor__I%20see%20what%20you%20did%20there

1 Like

There’s a semicolon gone missing to save us time, supra and near ‘they.’

Yeah it’s almost all built into ATSC 3.0, about which https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord-cutters-need-know-about-atsc-3/ and stuff, but where are all the NAB stuff ads? Tanking it (and CaspAR, etc.) until someone is big on making consumers haul the edge out where they are and micro the ads themselves, until such time as large (random) agencies can park on their lawns free? Yeah that’s an Uber but for shower drain cleaning all right.

I think it would be funny if a group of people would wear a t-shirt saying “This add is following” and then a (vague) drawing of the CEO.
People wearing this shirt would be taking turns actually following the CEO in real life. Or maybe, if following a person is against the law, just happen to show up wherever he is and taking notes about what he is buying, looking at, saying, etc.
Taking pictures maybe illegal, but I doubt that taking notes is. Plus, it looks a lot better when the person taking notes writes it down on a big notepad.
I don’t know if this is legal, but it would be an interesting way of making the consequences of add following visual to the CEO.

Every time I see someone walking glued to their phone I think of this movie.

whenever I glue someone to their phone I think of this movie too!

Keep in mind that these technologies will be used by politicians and lobbiests as well as those selling paper towels. That way they can truely appear to be all things to all people, or generate support for policies from radically different consticuencies.

Synergy!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.