6 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

Man, that brings me back.

tumblr_n5aer5RM1u1t3hbhyo1_500

3 Likes

in 2030 they buy Google with 900 billion Atari Tokens

5 Likes

It’s even more ridiculous than that, as after 2008 Namco Bandai bought into Atari and by the time of the bankruptcy, Atari had basically split into four companies. Now there are three companies that share the name, collectively run by a staff of ten people, last I heard. They all have no funds and just license out the name and the names of the IPs they hold to actual developers who do something with them.

I don’t know that Infogrames really had anything to do with it - they bought up one of Interplay’s studios when they started running out of money, but Interplay collapsed on its own. However, it did also turn into a zombie corporation wearing the skinsuit of the former company. Both Atari and Interplay call themselves “publishers,” but they mean that they’re empty holding companies that have a library of game rights. Since they can’t actually pay anyone to make sequels, developers just come to them to license out the rights to use old game titles. Which seems like a crappy deal for developers because in some cases they’re literally just paying money for the rights to use a single word. Consumers aren’t particularly fooled by this, and the names have only a vague nostalgia value at this point anyways, so I suspect those deals are tapering off as it becomes more obvious they’re not financially worthwhile.

In the original film they featured Bell Phones, RCA, Pam Am and Atari logos. (Apparently the “curse of Blade Runner” is a thing people joke about, given how many of the featured companies started falling apart after the movie came out.) It was kind of a nice bit in the new Blade Runner in that, rather than ignoring that, they doubled down and featured the logos even more prominently, to make it clear that the world of Blade Runner was an alternate reality, not a vision of the future. (Given that the original Blade Runner was set in 2019, that was kind of obvious, but…)

5 Likes

I wonder at the liability issues involved in these block chain for the sake of block chain types. If there is a problem with bitcoin it is not like people could go after an encompassing underlying entity. With things like Ether there seems to have been efforts put in to making a better crypto currency and probably a reasonable amount of due diligence. With these pop the old school name on a crypto currency and profit types they seem to be leaving themselves more open to issues when they screw up.

7 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.