Atari ST Book laptop among the rarest treasures of the 16-bit era

Originally published at: Atari ST Book laptop among the rarest treasures of the 16-bit era - Boing Boing

3 Likes

The ST Book was certainly an interesting piece of kit along with the Macintosh Powerbook 100-series released around the same time. I remember as an Amiga user wondering why Commodore couldn’t get their act together and release something similar, although it would have been far out of my price range regardless as a teen working a part time job.

Instead I eventually ended up with an Atari Portfolio palmtop bought used a few years later. Despite only being an IBM PC/XT class device with rather anemic amounts of RAM, storage (battery backed SRAM cards), and a very cramped screen, it really did a great job as a pocketable word processor and dial in terminal and had a surprisingly useable keyboard for its size. It was an essential part of my cyberpunk lifestyle getting carried around with me in a weatherproof army surplus messenger pouch until it finally got replaced with a Sony Clié palm pilot in the early 2000s.

5 Likes

and IIRC, it could also be used to hack ATMS given some additional hardware strapped to it. (Terminator 2)

5 Likes

In retrospect, now we know the whole Commodore story, it’s amazing they got anything done.

Just checked - that Commodore machine was rocking a 1MHz processor - and was completely incompatible with any other Commodore machine. I’d have gone with the SX64:

1 Like