Aunt-Man, in Auntumania: Enter the Auntum Realm!

Originally published at: Aunt-Man, in Auntumania: Enter the Auntum Realm! | Boing Boing

9 Likes

How and where can I book a stay?

13 Likes

since when are long passwords the provenance of old people? and raisins are NOT an unusual ingredient! stupid kid!

11 Likes

stop motion singing GIF by MANGOTEETH

10 Likes

I see your raisins in pancakes, and raise you… shredded coconut in peas.
Because my grandmother was allergic to coconut, so she put it in everything she didn’t want to eat.

12 Likes

I don’t know, it could taste quite nice. Give peas a chance.

23 Likes

i immediately thought about some of the indian dishes i’ve had with peas and coconut. i’d be game, i think. speaking of raisins they are good in savory indian dishes, too.

10 Likes

I did, it wasn’t bad, but it was still not an expected thing - she volunteered to make thanksgiving dinner, and put shredded coconut in everything she didn’t want to eat. It blended in with the stuffing quite nicely, and was an odd choice but not too odd in the squash (cut the bitterness nicely and provided some texture), but it really stood out in the peas. Not fancy peas, or creamed peas, or anything, just warmed up regular old ordinary garden peas… with shredded coconut sprinkled in, so that she didn’t have to eat any.

8 Likes

“The mystery of the barely seen cat”!
Lovely.

(I saw it)

11 Likes

Because they’re the machine-generated default passwords from the internet provider.

8 Likes

Do plastic furniture covers still exist? I remember old people having them in the ancient times when I was a kid, but haven’t seen them since.

9 Likes

I was in a balti restaurant back in the 80s, and figured I would try something different, so I ordered a “Fruity Bengal”. The waiter kindly pointed out, “Sir, that is a Ladies’ Balti…” Embarrassed, I order a Phaal or something equal toxically masculine instead. I was much younger and less confident in my sexuality back then. These days I would hope I would say, “Thank you; can you make it extra fruity?”

10 Likes

All the machine-generated default ones I see in use these days are really short, simple, and vulnerable. (Think “IcebergPineapple22.”) I’m 52, so old by some standards, and my WiFi passwords are 20+ characters (mixed case, special, and numbers). These are very much not default! There’s no way I could simply tell someone the password, but I do have the information available on a USB drive that I will hand to you if you’re in my home and you can copy & paste. (Or you can read it yourself on the screen of one of my devices if yours will not take a USB.)

Now that we’re starting to allow people back into our home, I may have to make a QR code available.

If their Balti is only appropriate for “ladies,” I think they must be intending something with it that I’m really not expecting at most restaurants. Even then, I’d have to argue with that description.

4 Likes

I think that the waiter was worried that a big manly-man like me would be disappointed with a mild and fruity dish and that I might cause trouble. Throw in the fact that the waiter was expressing himself in not his first language; and I’m more than happy to cut him some slack. :smile::+1:

10 Likes

No Closet of Unusual Smells? Clearly Aunt-Man wasn’t bitten by one of my radioactive aunts!

17 Likes

Visualize whirled peas.

3 Likes

Seriously! I have a hand-me-down cashmere scarf that decades later still smells of camphor.
(To its credit, there is zero deterioration from moth larvae or carpet beetles.) To this day, it reminds me of visits to Aunt Betty’s home.

12 Likes

Comcast is the main ISP where I live. They provide a combo modem-router to non-savvy customers that comes with default wifi passwords that look like the redemption code on a gift card. A lot of those customers either don’t know they can change the password, or don’t know how.

6 Likes

Those also come with public wifi on by default. You have to access the settings and manually disable it.

11 Likes

5 Likes