Australia just voted to ban working cryptography. No, really.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/06/pm-drongo.html

2 Likes

Dear Malcolm Turnbull, I see your lips movin’, but what you talkin’ 'bout?

Chris Lake & Green Velvet - Deceiver : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ua75beKHk

1 Like

What this means is that the Aussie software industry is effectively dead, no one can seriously consider obtaining software from a source where the govt can just waltz in and add backdoors to its heart’s content - I guess we need a github clone in a data haven now

14 Likes

Malcolm Turnbull may have been a god damn idiot, but he was still less of a god damn idiot than the god damn idiot he replaced, or the god damn idiot who’s replaced him…

6 Likes

Not just their software industry, their entire banking, finance, publishing, e-commerce, medical instruments, and arms sectors just to start with.

9 Likes

This is a battle which requires a very fine balance. Just look at Tor.

Anonymity comes at the price of… People getting away with bad stuff. Some of that bad stuff, we can deal with as a society. I don’t have to squint too hard to see how liberal policies would obviate something like The Silk Road.

The other bad stuff Tor is known for… Well… It shouldn’t exist, and I don’t see how any policies on any political spectrum would eradicate it. I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

2 Likes

A more accurate title would be that the “Muppets in the Australian government have voted to ban working encryption”.

I despair at my countries ‘leadership’. No idea and happy without one.

8 Likes

…or the god damn idiot that tried to replace him twice, failed, but is still instrumental in helping push shit like this through parliament.

1 Like

Hi Cory, I’m a member of the Australians Legal Technology Association, and am CEO of a company that makes software used by lawyers, called Smarter Drafter. Can we collaborate on opposition to this? You can get in touch through Smarter Drafter.

6 Likes
2 Likes

The government would probably be happy to grant strong encryption licences for legitimate (as they would see it) business purposes

There’s speculation that the 5 Eyes already know how to break the encryption they need to break, but are using this as a cover story. Australia is the guinea pig so the PR messaging can be honed in other countries.

Oddly enough, the laws can’t be used by State & Territory based independent commissions against corruption. So politicians can’t have their conversations spied on. Naturally.

7 Likes

But how strong will that licensed “strong” encryption actually be, when the government thinks that they should be able to read everyone’s mail? Just a bit stronger than the encryption the hoi polloi are allowed to use?

And why don’t my law-abiding Australian cousins deserve strong encryption? Don’t they deserve privacy?

2 Likes

Well the government tells us that it’s not that we don’t deserve it, it’s just that they need it to read the messages of TERRORISTS and PEDOPHILES and other boogeymen too stupid to use open source encryption methods.

Based on the leaks and on the current state of the art, if the big guns want to read your mail they won’t attack the crypto itself (damn near impossible), but endpoint security (broken, always and everywhere). The trick is that this generally needs to be targeted. What these people want is overwatch over all the communication so that they can perfect algorithmic oppression and crush dissent before it gets going. For this, they need to cripple crypto, especially crypto for the most normal of normal people. Let the cipherpunks do whatever they want—it’s all about controlling the masses.

They must not be allowed to do this. Nothing they protect us from (allegedly) is worth this. Not even close.

13 Likes

Pols: I want this
Mathematicians: Impossible.
Pols: But I want it.

6 Likes

An up vote just for linking to El Reg, something that is permanently on my bookmarks bar even tho a large % of articles are way beyond me. The Alistair Dabbs Friday posts are hysterically funny. And don’t miss the On Call posts.

2 Likes

It’s god damn idiots all the way down…

1 Like

There is a new BOFH today…