Australia’s top medical research organization finds homeopathy worthless

[Permalink]

1 Like

Do campaign contributions mean NOTHING in Australia? Tyrrany!

4 Likes

Sometimes it is a good thing that homeopathy does nothing

http://www.periodictable.com/Items/094.5/index.html

7 Likes

Even dehydration? ISTM it might be of some help for that…

2 Likes

Not in the pill form or those tiny bottles.

Maybe if someone decided to mix a broad spectrum of homeopathic remedies together and start selling them as cure-all bottled water…

1 Like

Maybe their sample size wasn’t small enough. . .

Heyooooo!

31 Likes

Yeesh, next thing you know there’ll be studies bringing phrenology in to question too!

3 Likes

Sure, the official research company’s data says it doesn’t work. But my friend told me to try it and that it helped her, and it helped me. And you know what they say, the plural of anecdote is data. So there you have it, some REAL data for homeopathy.

5 Likes

There is no homeopathic cure for dehydration. After decades of research, they still haven’t figured out how to dilute water using water. I hear they’ve got their crank… er crack scientists on it though.

6 Likes

I doubt this will change anything. Doctors, insurance companies, pharmacies and even the majority of the general public know that homeopathy is garbage. The problem is that when you can sell water for over $200 per gallon (a 140,000% markup) some people are making a lot of money with little risk, which means they can pay politicians to keep the gravy train rolling or at least stay the hell out of the way. CVS’s own website indicates homeopathy is worthless, but they have homeopathic remedies on their shelves right alongside real medicine. I’ll believe things have changed when this junk is no longer on the shelves of local pharmacies and grocery stores.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Health Canada will happily approve your homeopathic cure without the slightest shred of credible evidence:

2 Likes

NASA has been working on dehydrated water for decades. Your tax dollars wasted.

1 Like

It blows my mind that I see this nonsense being stocked in pharmacies. At least there are no side effects… ::rolls eyes::

2 Likes

Nope. That’s what I’m selling the packets of Instant Water ™ for. Just add water!

1 Like

I fall in line with the study, but we shouldn’t forget about that darned elusive placebo effect.

9 Likes

But if you shred the report horizontally, toss it in a bag with blank shreds of paper, mix it up and then select a small handful of shreds, you might find a phrase that supports the use of homeopathy.

6 Likes

I am not authorized to access the link.

1 Like

What makes me mad is not so much the faux remedies for things that really can’t be cured, like the cold, but for things where there is an actual cure. Like, they have in the women’s aisle these homeopathic and herbal creams for yeast infections they sell right alongside Monistat, etc., and from looking at the boxes you can hardly tell that one is actual medicine and another placebo.

5 Likes

Fashionable!

And for some problems, placebos can actually be pretty effective. I have no doubt that people get honest relief from homeopathic pain and nausea medications because placebos do wonders for those. But for infections? The deception has undoubtedly killed people. And then some alt_med cranks talk about cancer - you really, really cannot cure cancer water and positive thinking.

5 Likes