Automotive tires sent down a ski jump

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/22/automotive-tires-sent-down-a-s.html

5 Likes

Interesting. The tradeoffs are wind resistance and the amount of potential energy that goes into rotation, thus resulting in a slower takeoff and a shorter flight. Based on that, pretty much as expected. The F1 tyre is very light and you would expect wind resistance to have a big effect. The truck tyre is much heavier but with less wind resistance, so more energy goes into velocity.

When Galileo did his experiments with rolling balls down a slope, he didn’t know about rotational kinetic energy. Had he used it to get a value for g he would have ended up with the wrong answer.

8 Likes

Bahaha :smiley:

Gotta love Japanese TV sometimes, they seem like they’re having so much fun :slight_smile:

On a similar vein: my favourite silly thing.

10 Likes

Imy favorite part is that the guy sending the tires down the jump is wearing a lab coat.

35 Likes

As someone who once inspected tires, upon seeing that last one I immediately thought ‘This is not going to end well’.

17 Likes

16 Likes

This is a great combo of content and advertisement, though after six minutes it gets a bit tired.

8 Likes

And this is odd because? For great Science!

2 Likes

And the white gloves also helped.

7 Likes

To whoever came up with this wonderful, loony idea…have a sake on me.

7 Likes

That last tire was just the right size for riding down in! I don’t know how they were able to resist.

12 Likes

Because SCIENCE!!!

2 Likes

Bit like one of these? :stuck_out_tongue:

(might be a tad bumpy on the landing though :wink: )

6 Likes

I would love to see this at night with LED’s on the tires.

7 Likes

Well my money was on supaatsu-kaa taiya.

4 Likes

I liked the torakku taiya best. I bet the last one would have gone tremendously further if the ramp had held.

5 Likes

8 Likes

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/1/15/ITSP.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090205190005

Who wrote the music? This is amazing!!!

1 Like

Eddie the Goodyear Eagle!

6 Likes