Average Masters thesis lengths charted by discipline

[Read the post]

1 Like

Well, I can easily see the length of a thesis expanding the more times you have type words like methylchloroisothiazolinone. Methylchloroisothiazolinone has a tendency to make sentences and papers longer. Even using referential wording to avoid typing out methylchloroisothiazolinone might make the thesis about methylchloroisothiazolinone longer than it needs to be. Anyone ever hear the song, Methylchloroisothiazolinone?

4 Likes

Mine was in control engineering, and ~100 pages. But it was mercilessly padded with plots from Matlab.

3 Likes

Please tell me “Control Engineer” is on your business card.

2 Likes

in this font

10 Likes

Nah, they say Propulsion Engineer. But perhaps my next ones will. I’d rather have Cybernetician though.

4 Likes

Awww, I always suspected mine was shorter than average.
(sad trombone)

On the other hand, my pappy always told me, “If you can’t dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.”

Biolanalytical chemistry. 256 pages. A nice power of two, right there. Glad I didn’t have to do 512.

1 Like

Because I see the world through the lens of XKCD…

A live performance here…

Also…

3 Likes

Mine was (mostly) medicinal chemistry. 37 pages.

“President of the Presidium of the Supreme Control Engineering Committee of the Special State Security Bureau”

This works for me. But I don’t think it’ll fit on a card (or in Discourse).

1 Like

It can’t be coincidence that the coloured bars are stacked in a near linear fashion. Someone should look into that. (In math class, I was the kid who said, “enough with checking for more digits of Pi to the right of the decimal point, let’s refocus our efforts to the left of it.”)

History, 109 pages. Some of which will be recycled for the dissertation…

1 Like

Any of the engineering or hard science dissertations can be reasonably expected to be at least half plots. That said, many of them have to actually gather data, which is unpredictable and can take a lot longer than writing.

1 Like

Animal Sciences comes in 4th, but Animal Science is 20th. What gives?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.