Bad breathalyzer code means countless DUI convictions are unsafe

It wasn’t in the med tech field, but I remember having a class where I was hands on with this relatively industry standard >$1k per license software, and it was a) buggy as all hell, and b) had an awful unintuitive layout that would have failed if it were submitted as part of a highschool visual basic course.

1 Like

Yep. Story in UK in past day or so ref a forensic lab worker who did not actually carry out the tests they were supposed to but still managed to produce reports.

The member of staff from Scotland Yard’s forensic services is alleged to have failed in carrying out tests and to have wrongly informed investigators about how her work was progressing, police said.

2 Likes

Brings to mind the case of Jayden Leskie where DNA from a body was matched with the DNA of a rape victim who’s sample was processed at the same time, in the same laboratory.

Reading through this Age article I can’t help wondering what happened to the samples before they arrived at the lab. Were they both transported by the same courier? Were they exposed to something which might have transferred material from one sample to the other? Maybe they both got rained on for example.

additionally, and I say this as a generally pro-government liberal type person, why is every government website the worst website you’ve ever seen? Working in medicine I have to deal with state websites for licensing and they are just incredibly awful. You need to know your password but there’s no way to reset your password. They require 10 incredibly invasive security questions for a website you may use 2x in your life. I know there are structural reasons why this is but it’s extremely disheartening.

My first thought on seeing that headline was “they made a breathalyzer that detects ‘bad breath’? Now that’s handy!”

Laws regarding breathalyzer results are state-based, not federal; they can vary widely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.