Base model electric Ford F150 apparently handles and accelerates like a sportscar

I was just eyeing the Maverick on the Ford website for my next vehicle. The bed is a little small for my purposes but the cost is better than I anticipated. And my first car was a 73 Ford Maverick sedan, so nostalgia!

5 Likes

We recently bought a wheelchair trailer (not the one pictured) for the back of our “Urban SUV” to haul our blackwater in a tank to a dumpsite. I used it yesterday to return a damaged oven to home depot. Our model carries 500lbs, has a ramp, and can also fold up when not in use. The whole shebang cost less than $200.

5 Likes

this.
if it will pull a 26’ Contender out of the water (on a trailer, duh!), then Ford has my attention.

3 Likes

My deepest sympathies…

6 Likes

Not sure what you typically use your bed for but for larger items you can get a utility trailer from Harbor Freight for $500. I’ve done a number of projects hauling materials around using my Honda Fit and a trailer. Many people tend to overestimate just how much truck they need. For the one or two times a year when you really do need to move something massive the Home Depot trucks are just $20 an hour to rent. Better to do that than daily drive a monster truck around that you only need very rarely.

7 Likes

It was a lovely shade of shit green and handled like it was driven by a drunken tug pilot. It taught me to deal with ice calmly since I spent a significant portion of each winter spinning in circles as soon as the roads got slick and the rear wheels decided they wanted to be in front. My now-wife would marvel at the fact that we’d be turned 180 degrees from where we should be and my only response was an annoyed “give it a second and we’ll be right around.” I loved that car.

12 Likes

Mostly barn reno at the moment but general purpose farming most of the year. I’ve got a lot of gravel-hauling when I move on to some driveway construction next spring. We’ve got a trailer but I’m a wimp about driving with it. My wife is a much better trailer-driver than I am but the Maverick is likely right in the sweet spot of functional enough and not so overpriced that I’ll just have to learn better trailer skills.

7 Likes

Just built that very trailer to haul my Dear Wife’s and mine motorcycles, it was ridiculously easy to assemble and I haul it with the Prius V zero issues.

4 Likes

I think you don’t know the US truck market. This thing is going to be an easy sell, as long as it’s priced comparable to the XLT.

6 Likes

Today I learned that “We are pro grade” means “We are the bottom of the range”.

5 Likes

The reviewers on this test drive of a low-end electric F150 are gleefully giggling away as a demo driver calmly tosses them around a pre-determined by Ford track.

This seem ironic to me. Where I live F150’s average the speed limit, F250 drivers can’t be bothered to even get to the speed limit, and only F350 drivers seem to even understand the size of their vehicle or the fact that other people want to get somewhere.

+400hp in a truck is cute, but when I can zip by you in a sub 200hp 4 cylinder just stop with the whole “more power” thing.

3 Likes

But it’s a Ford.

3 Likes

… and here we go!

6 Likes

But how far can it tow my airstream in a charge? If I had one.

4 Likes

The power is for towing. Sure the speed is a good sales pitch and no doubt it’ll sell better because of it, but weekend warriors mostly buy these to drag their boats to the lake, or trailers to camp.

The electric makes it a better daily runabout, too. (The only problem with that is they’re too damn big.)

3 Likes

What displacement, I’d bet if they got the same torque and HP out of that displacement today, the milage would be significantly higher.

1 Like

It’s all about that power to weight ratio anyway…

12 Likes

My daughter had a summer job at an insurance company. When the F150’s caught fire they had a tendency to melt parts (the aluminum parts I believe).

2 Likes

Says targeted at 10,000 pounds towing.

Google says, that’s under the weight. But, then I don’t remember how big a safety margin you want for a boat ramp, only that being wrong is “not good”.

That’s exactly what they show in the glossy photos. Although, it’s looks like a small one in the photo. Hmmmm…

As a prior F150 owner back when we had a horse trailer. The thing that jumped out was the front trunk. The truck was great for towing the horse, the occasional home appliance, and outdoor adventure gear. But, it was a super pain for just plain luggage or groceries in the rain. That was many cars and years ago now.

3 Likes

VW had a commuter car that would do 200mpg.

Went to production, sold few hundred, nothing else ever became of it.

In hindsight:

Yeah, no freaking way.

4 Likes