Doug DeMuro reviews the new electric Ford F150 Lightning

Originally published at: Doug DeMuro reviews the new electric Ford F150 Lightning | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Cool - though an electric Ranger would work better for us city folk. Long as it can tow a good weight.

11 Likes

Rivian R1T is closer to Ford Ranger size.

Ewan Mcgregor Charley GIF by Apple TV

7 Likes

It’s nice. But much more spendy.

8 Likes

Forward trunk sold me 100%, that alone is what I need on road trips, secure/out’a sight. $40k out the door would be nice, but I doubt that, it will be in the high $40k’s by the time it sees blacktop.

11 Likes

I dunno, that bed looks a little puny. My benchmark is whether or not a standard 4’x8’ piece of plywood (or drywall) lies flat on the bed with the tailgate closed – and without resting on or touching the wheel wells. Doesn’t look like the case with the truck in the video.

2 Likes

“… trucks have gotten so big…” That’s the part the turns me away. Why does it need to be such a climb? I’d prefer something that fits in the garage and Ford doesn’t seem to care much about that smaller pickup segment.

3 Likes

Ford Maverick is the smaller hybrid is nice, I tested it in Palm Springs. You can get it for around $35k out the door. It jumped right up to freeway speeds, and was comfy for a big guy to drive. I passed on it, waiting to test the Lightening.

10 Likes

12 Likes

That must be the tarted-up spec. The base model is only $22K before taxes.

4 Likes

Do you think we will ever see EV “Technicals” somewhere in the developing world?

4 Likes

Nobody but fleet purchases will get that base model, it’s a bare bones as it can be, no frills what so ever, I didn’t even want to drive it. Plus, this is California, state/local taxes plus destination charges are around $4k add to the price.

6 Likes

67.1 inches long

Right, you can’t lie a standard 4’x8’ piece of plywood down flat on the bed with the gate closed. This truck is not for me.

3 Likes

I dunno, other than cruise control missing it seemed OK to me. BTW, the $22K includes the destination charge. It’s the best deal in new cars going, I don’t see how anyone would buy anything else in its price range.

4 Likes

Now that all trucks MUST be four door sedans, 8 foot beds are going the way of 8 cylinder engines.

10 Likes

Wow, what state are you in, I may road trip to purchase that, kind’a puts it in a different frame of mind.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s kind of crazy that pickup trucks have turned into the luxury family SUV. What, exactly, is the point of having a pickup to begin with? It’s supposed to be a work vehicle.

At any rate, I’ll take a vintage 1970s F-150 any day over this thing any day of the week. As it is, my Tundra does meet my benchmark, so I’m happy.

4 Likes

The destination charge is the same nationwide - $1500. Base is $20K + $1500 destination. Actually getting your hands on one is a different story - it’s pretty much put in your order and get in line.

3 Likes

Ah, supply and demand, ain’t that the way it goes. We’ll just wait and see, the 1974 Dodge pickup is still humming along…

3 Likes

$22K is a helluva deal. Too bad it doesn’t seem to be a useful pickup truck.

1 Like