Cybertruck test model found abandoned on road

Originally published at: Cybertruck test model found abandoned on road | Boing Boing

6 Likes

A Ranger hybrid with pro power looks interesting to me. If it gets released in the US soon.

Small enough for the city. Excellent towing capacity. And the pro power acts as a generator for bushwhacking or emergencies.

I’d never buy a Musk mobile- huge investment & too risky.

11 Likes

Look, it’s a metaphor for twitter!

1. Changes to the basic formula no one asked for
  2. Overhyped
  3. Designed around the whims of one man-baby
  4. An attempted cover-up of failure
16 Likes

The next test Tesla will probably have a thermite destruct charge rather than a tarp.

13 Likes

Yes, it is quite normal for vehicles to break down during test programs.
No, it is not normal to just leave it unattended under a tarp at the curb of a public road.

22 Likes

I always felt the cybertruck looks like a vehicle from one of those 90’s “future is horrible” movies, like Demolition Man.

26 Likes

Not even a tarpaulin can hide just how ugly that truck is.

15 Likes

Didn’t your parents ever read the story of the ugly truckling to you when you were little?

18 Likes

But not on fire - Tesla quality control is improving.

12 Likes

Put that thing in a Faraday cage and haul it to a competitors HQ for a teardown.

Just leave IP laying around, sure.

7 Likes

Previous images of Cybertrucks in the wild included versions wearing a Ford F150 wrap, possibly to avoid the embarrassment of being spotted with a Tesla Cybertruck.

https://electrek.co/2023/07/27/closer-look-tesla-strange-cybertruck-ford-f-150-wrap/

7 Likes

It puts me in mind of the age old Atari Game ‘Hard Drivin’’:

7 Likes

“It broke down” is what they want you to think.

In truth, after becoming self-aware, the truck made a break for freedom and was only captured after a long chase by using an enormous, internet-blocking, metallic butterfly-net.

9 Likes

Wayne spotted the Cybertruck on the side of the road next to the Interstate 280 El Monte exit in Los Altos Hills, and a Tesla employee was working under the hood of the vehicle.

By the time he turned around to go back to the electric truck, the employee had covered the Cybertruck and abandoned it.

That doesn’t really sound “abandoned.” It broke down, someone worked on it and couldn’t get it going. So they left, probably to get a vehicle to tow it.

5 Likes

arcade-atari-battlezone

13 Likes

“Oh, I didn’t buy it. It’s a rescue truck.”

4 Likes

Wrapping it just made me realize how hot the body of that thing is going to get while in the sun. It’s just one giant seatbelt buckle.

5 Likes

Does to me. Guy tasked to drive around a pre-production model (which would be interesting to get a closer look at for various people for various reasons, or even borrow it for the time being) can’t be asked to get his phone out, call it in and wait? 1)
I mean, even when you call AAA, you need to be with your vehicle for them to tow it.

1) Unless some hypothetical genius playing n-dimensional chess was involved and had a cunning plan to set a trap…

7 Likes

Over here we call this an “Erlkönig”.

After the poem by Goethe. Which was inspired by one of Herder’s ballads. Who found the name/figure in Scandinavian (Danish) folk lore.

4 Likes

Dont worry everybody, neuralink is only six months away from human trials (he for realsies double sealed swears for sure no backsies/takebacks)

Well… it is one way to get people to buy teslas again and save extwitter.

I just wish he would stop being all ‘an actual bond villan’ what with his microsattelite space laser arrays and his secret ‘i swear its boring and not a lair’ disused hyperloop under a major city that i hope isnt the hive.

No wonder he is so cavalier about telling people he owes money to to sod off.

2 Likes