A first-hand account of how bad the Cybertruck is

Originally published at: A first-hand account of how bad the Cybertruck is

10 Likes

I just can’t believe that a vehicle where bulletproof windows and ‘bioweapon defense mode’ are advertised features might not prioritize the safety of bystanders.

19 Likes

When I first saw the Cybertruck rolled out, my first reaction was “Who was this for?”

Trucks are the #1 vehicle class sold in North America and this product didn’t do anything for the majority of customers that obtain trucks. I figured that if Ford released an electric F-150 (the single most selling vehicle in the world) before Cybertruck, it would fizzle out any significant reason to get the Cybertruck.

Ford has since released the F-150 Lightning and Ford understood the assignment. It’s an F-150 that’s just like it’s ICE counterpart, but with all the benefits of electrification including 220v & 110v plugs, the huge frunk due to lack of huge engine, and still just looks like an F-150.

So… who is the Cybertruck even for?

22 Likes

Weird billionaire enthusiasts

19 Likes

In all fairness, other trucks on the market also don’t do anything for the majority of customers that obtain trucks. Most people with trucks don’t really need them.

But yeah, this is worse.

15 Likes

Given how bad the design is, I’m assuming Elno had a lot of input. Every time he feels the need to insert himself in the process, things get messed up, consistently.

10 Likes

I’d argue that the car is not priced correctly to fit that market.

2 Likes

There are very clearly folks who get an F-150 as a status symbol.

It’s also the truck a lot of small businesses use as their workspace and office (contractors, plumbers, other trades…) which the Cybertruck does nothing for.

6 Likes

Elon Musk fanboys with more money than sense.

8 Likes

Space Karen fresh from losing trillions at X seems to be uniquely positioned to follow the same route at Tesla.

10 Likes

Yup; and then they do all sorts of things to them that make them less practical as a truck, or are obnoxious in several ways. Friend of mine calls such vehicles ‘bro-dozers’ because 99% of the time, it’s a bro driving one.

After looking through all the pictures listed on that site, it even further reinforces my intent to not only not buy one, but to stay the hell away from anyone who has, because they most likely will not be a safe driver.

5 Likes

And just like on the Simpsons the engineers tried to warn Lord Elon of the problems and got ingored.

13 Likes

Most of them also don’t need it. Driving any truck is absolutely about macho posturing, even for 90% of businesses. I’ve said it a lot of times before, but contractors in Europe mostly use this

or this

And in Japan they use this

Somehow, things still get done.

22 Likes

That was literally my take, and if I ever do decide to go for a truck (mainly so I can haul around a camper) the F150 Lightning seems really to get it. As - like you said - you get a “truck plus”, all the capabilities and more of an ICE pickup. I can’t imagine there not being a whole slew of tradeoffs with the cyber truck, but we won’t know until review models start getting into the hand of actual experienced truck reviewers I guess.

11 Likes

Bah! Who needs visibility when it’s the computer that’s going to be driving! I’m sure the Cybertruck will execute FSD better than any other Tesla. Right? /s

5 Likes

Perhaps most concerning is how thick the upright A-pillar is from the inside. This prototype’s headliner seemed more well-sorted and a bit slimmer than other Cybertrucks I’ve seen images of, but it still has what is by far the worst forward blind spot I’ve ever seen in a new car.

“Sir, we have an Alaina Gassler on line 1 asking for “Dilbert Musk”…?”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/teenager-invention-blind-spot-trnd/index.html

If you INSIST on moving ahead with this folly (and let’s be clear, you shouldn’t), maybe live up to your professed aspiration to make the most innovative vehicles and deploy this system.* And pay her handsomely for it.
Sure, the Hyundai system that pops a side view into the gauge cluster would be simpler, but he DOES do things simply because he thinks they’re cool.

5 Likes

The only complement i can give the truck is that it’s doing a great job at being a money pit.

6 Likes

Video game protagonists in a post-apocalyptic zombie game from the 1970s.

15 Likes

The cybertruck is for people who have too much disposable income

5 Likes

It’s funny - I’d think I would like the look of a ‘cyber’ el camino, but I really just don’t.

Actually, I just looked at some pictures of el caminos, and they are much slicker.

2 Likes