A first-hand account of how bad the Cybertruck is

That’s true of any expensive automobile though.

The cybertruck is aiming for that sweet spot in the Venn diagram where “too much disposable income,” “a crippling need to assert one’s masculinity,” “an 11-year-old boy’s sense of aesthetics” and “total ignorance of what makes a good truck” all overlap.

10 Likes

When I first saw the prototype, I thought it was ugly. Now I know how deep the ugliness actually goes. Rivian must be happy, since Tesla is going to release a vehicle that makes the butt-ugly R1T beautiful in comparison.

8 Likes

At least luxury cars can be fun adult toys, even if I’m uninterested in such things.The cyber truck is just a bad purchase

6 Likes

… apparently any metal shop would be happy to hack up a regular Tesla for us and it’ll still drive

10 Likes

Utes are underrated. When I visited Australia, I was surprised how many tradespeople used them as work vehicles. I wish there were better options for that sort of vehicle in the US.

8 Likes

I was under the impression that 95% of truck owners don’t tow anything with a truck, and most of them don’t like filling the truck bed with mulch or anything “icky”, and most truck owners tend to buy a truck because they want to own a vehicle that lets them think about how awesome it will be to some day want to do a truck thing and already own a truck.

If that rather unflattering description of “average truck owner” is correct then the CyberTruck can serve the purpose of “expensive prop” about as well as any other truck.

So I guess it comes down to how much does the CyberTruck cost relative to other trucks, and what kind of truck related fantasy can the CyberTruck server for prospective owners.

Personally I would rather get a Rivian R1T because it looks more like a real vehicle while still looking kind of different and cool. Also it has some awesome off road capabilities.

Which I will absolutely admit is a “truck fantasy” as opposed to something I actually believe I have an actual need for. I do drive off road. A little. In my backyard. Which is basically flat. From my house to my barn. Sometimes in the front yard which is also basically flat. I drive in some pretty rough snow on normal-ish roads that don’t always see much of a visit from a plow (I’m in VT and here if the roads have under an inch or two of snow then they have been “plowed plenty”), but I don’t need four motors (on on each wheel) for that. At least I hope not.

I’ve owned trucks in the past when I had a big RV to tow (turns out that was a phase, I don’t own one and am not about to go buy one). I don’t think the CyberTruck could actually tow a 5er, but if it was strictly fantasy truck use I could probably ignore that, or assume I could use a sliding hitch and the pin weight wouldn’t be too much when the slider would need to bring the hitch closer to the rear gate (and off the rear axel) to avoid the 5ers front from going through the high front of the stupid diagonal bed rails. Or hey, it is a fantasy. Maybe I’ll imagine having an AirStream TT not a 5er (note the AirStream would cost far far more then the CyberTruck, so really I think I would be having an Air Stream fantasy, not a truck fantasy!). Or maybe I’ll dream about the LightShip…

…but yeah, I think the EV F150 coming out a year plus ahead of the CyberTruck took a lot of wind out of the CyberTruck’s sails. About the only thing it has going for it is it had one or two configurations that cost a lot less than the F150 that seemed like nice configurations. The prices have not at all been confirmed though, there has been a lack of official statements about prices. Lots of rumors that like with the Model 3 the launch prices will be way higher than originally expected.

I still think the CyberTruck will have a fair bit of success if it has a low enough price. It for sure isn’t the truck for me, but lots of people just want “a truck” and while the CyberTruck is indeed fuggly, it is hard to argue it isn’t a truck. So I think it’ll mostly come down to price. Both minimum price for minimum configuration, and prices for roughly comparable configurations to the F150. Even if in real life they are not all that comparable as far as vehicles go.

3 Likes

Pretty good definition of the only person in that segment - Lone Skum.

No chance. That thing is going to cost a mint if it ever makes it to market. Unless Tesla wants to sell it at a loss.

2 Likes

Absolutly. The EV F150 has the “work area” desk thing as an option, long ago I had a F350 with that as an option, and it was an actually usable work area for doing paperwork and operating a laptop and such. Nothing makes me think the Tesla has anything even remotely similar.

Of corse I think it is a multi thousand dollar option on the F150 and requires you to be buying the upper end trim line anyway, but still…

4 Likes

But…but… it’s tactical!

Needs more definition, Honda Super Cub or Flying Pigeon bicycle?

2 Likes

Man, I fuckin’ love Kei trucks. Look at it’s happy little face and tiny wheels! Squeee!

10 Likes

Plus, they’re really cheap, and the taxes and expressway tolls are lower as well. And they are perfectly capable of driving the 100kph that you’re allowed to drive on expressways (okay, there are some stretches where 120kph is allowed, but that’s not the norm throughout the highway network).

3 Likes

Who needs visibility when it’s going to drive itself?

1 Like

I really liked the aesthetic for Truckla mainly because it reminded me of an El Camino, which is a car design i’ve always dug

4 Likes

It is part of the XLT model, which is the next trim level up from the PRO model which is more of a work truck model. The price differential is ~5 grand, in my area at least. (there are two more trim levels, the lariat and platinum, which start around 70K and 92K, respectively.)

I actually have something of a rant about what I’d like for a new (or new to me) vehicle, but this is not the place for it. :smiley:

My late uncle had purchased a 60’s vintage El Camino and restored it over the course of a few years. I don’t know what happened to it after he passed, though. It was beautiful once he got done with it, and I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

1 Like

My fear is that “execute” will be the operant word there…

1 Like

I always thought that the wiper looks ridiculous but I hadn’t considered before now that, due to the huge length, the surface speed of the outer end of the wiper will be quite high as it pivots through the arc. Probably will lead to high wear or other issues. So many, many compromises in this design.

4 Likes

amateurs. gillette’s up to like nine blades or something. and even they’ve got nothing on swiss army knives. the more blades the merrier.

( oops. should i have said armatures? )

6 Likes

Fixing problems that didn’t need solving. Truly what an inspiration of an idiot Musk is.

3 Likes

Sadly there don’t seem to be any good electric trucks, although the Rivian and Lightning both have some good points. I rather like the folded stainless exterior of the cybertruck personally, and I don’t care about looks or “fit and finish”, but I hate the poor visibility. And the Cybertruck is at least as overly reliant on potted semiconductors as the other two are (provbably worse; it’s right in the name!)

1 Like