Heavy EV appears CyberStuck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/29/heavy-ev-appears-cyberstuck.html

5 Likes

IMG_1393

17 Likes

He needs to call the CyberTowTruck.

And learn how to drive.

6 Likes

26 Likes

Another ~100 grand well spent!

7 Likes

Didn’t he promise that these things would float? LOL

Guess not.

10 Likes

Depending on where in the country this is an argument can be made that recreationally driving a car across a river could be causing damage to the riverbed. At least in Texas that would be the case from what i understand if the river is a protected waterway.

Edit: Additional supporting info

9 Likes

Somehow an Amazing Race team got into that type of situation in the most recent season. Video link for an interview where they talk about that. The video shows their car stuck, but the thumbnail shows it too (albeit a smaller picture) if you don’t want to play the video.

1 Like

I don’t know if “Azula Canyon” is a real place but not far from me is a section of Azusa Canyon operated by the Forest Service that explicitly allows off-roading in a sandy riverbed.

I don’t see the appeal but people seem to like challenging the capabilities of their vehicles.

4 Likes

Yeah the second link i provided says as much, if a trail, road or area allows it then there’s no problem. But just because a car can make it across a river doesn’t mean it’s allowed everywhere.

2 Likes

The wheels are electrically driven, aren’t they? Why are they not placed right at the four corners of the body, avoiding the body bottoming out before the wheels can gain purchase on the bank. If only there was an 80+ year old exemplar for Musk to draw on for inspiration.

8 Likes

It doesn’t have a motor per wheel like the Mercedes G class EV. But basically the problem is that the Cybertruck is designed for kewl videogame looks rather than performance of the tasks an off-road pick-up actually needs to do. Like crossing rough terrain.

6 Likes

"Is th is a bird?" meme format: "Is this boat mode?"

Edit: beaten to the punch by @Legion

10 Likes

The Cybertruck is often described as “low-poly”.

4 Likes

Tesla only recently (April 2024) released an off-road update for the Cybertruck… this example was probably behaving like a regular AWD, cutting power and sacrificing momentum when a wheel slipped, instead of a 4WD vehicle which locks the rotation of all wheels together regardless of slip. It looks like Tesla prioritized what most people would probably do first with the truck, which is floor the throttle, on pavement, in a straight line.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

2 Likes

Or the Rivian R1-T and R1-S.

Only shitty AWD does that, not “regular” AWD.

3 Likes

Still a good meme tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.