Tesla engineer pleads: Stop shooting your Cybertrucks!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/tesla-engineer-pleads-stop-shooting-your-cybertrucks.html

7 Likes

While I don’t condone shooting someone else’s cybertruck, I sure don’t care if those idiots shoot holes into their own trucks. It’s not going to be covered by warranties or insurance, it’s just a pile of money being wasted by stupid people who might be slowly learning that they’re stupid.

13 Likes

No Way GIF

10 Likes

Those are speed holes. They make the car go faster.

IMG_1128

17 Likes

Turns out that if you remove the battery on a Cybertruck then you’ve got a Flintstones-mobile all ready to go!
(The battery is the floor of the truck)

Also, build quality sucks but we already knew that.

13 Likes

I mean, it’s always nice to prove to yourself that your new vehicle is immune to things like post-apocalyptic biker gangs, T1000s, and the jaws of life.

9 Likes

Angela Chao?

7 Likes

Be sure to aim for the battery packs. They’re extra bulletproof.

11 Likes

They look great on an old FireBlade.

5 Likes

I guess I’m not surprised that a Tesla engineer mangles a quote, but it also makes no sense if you’re trying to say that the truck is tough, since the black knight gets completely de-limbed.

13 Likes

Just in time for Furiosa!

7 Likes

I finally saw one of these in person. From the photos I’ve seen, I was expecting a certain brutalist charm. Nope. They are hideous. The proportions are all wrong, the huge areas of flat panels and straight lines make every misalignment of the panel gaps and riplle in the panel jump out at you. There is just nothing appealing about them at all, and I actually like the look of some Teslas (S and X).

Shootin’ is too good for ‘em.

13 Likes

At best a beta version when it was released… and it’s a Tesla. Figures that geniuses would be early adopters.

2 Likes

It’s been said that it looks like a small child’s first drawing of a car. Oh. And this. A friend of mine is on the Nextdoor website. Someone in the community posted a pic of a cybertruck, and added this note: “Look folks! A cybertruck parked outside Home Depot.” The result was a bunch of laughing emoji responses.

5 Likes

LOL, no. Absolutely no surprise there.

7 Likes

In an ironic twist, apparently bullets from America’s favourite rifle, AR-15 and derivatives, go right through. You know, what many guys use for plinking cans when the 40 to 50 feral hogs don’t show up.

(I mean, no surprise when it comes to .50-caliber rounds or (subsonic?) 9mm, but this? Ouch.)

10 Likes

Some 1980s Citroen 2CVs came with factory-installed fake bulletholes.

4 Likes

I don’t like teslas, but I love Lotus bodies.

5 Likes

When I was a young teen, many centuries ago, I used to save my pennies to play an arcade game called “Battlezone”, which had low-polygon vehicles drawn with crude vector graphics.

I cannot see a Cybertruck without thinking of “Battlezone”.

26 Likes

This seemed like a good idea to someone, did it? I guess the designers never played Car Wars.

4 Likes