YouTuber notices "one slight issue" with Cybertruck

Originally published at: YouTuber notices "one slight issue" with Cybertruck - Boing Boing

13 Likes

ah what robust product design choices! Having been associated with ‘known’ organic chemists, i’m frightfully curious as to what particular glue was employed for this critical safety function. Some glues don’t age well (particularly under solar radiation), some don’t resist a lot of temperature changes, some aren’t notably flexible under a lot of vibration, some don’t much like to get wet… that is, what’s the “half-life” of a Cybertruck before it commences “spontaneous disassembly” while ‘self-driving’ at 96kph? (60mph?)

33 Likes

All that, plus the reason other cars use bolts to hold body trim in place is in case it needs to be removed to repair or replace something underneath. This looks like the trim piece would be damaged in order to remove it for repairs. That stainless is never going to be flat again.

31 Likes

@theophrastus The automotive industry has been bonding trim with chemicals since the 50’s… and now there are even structural bonds in the chassis. This is a design issue, not a technology issue.

@DukeTrout Have you seen these in real life yet? They look horrible and you can see the ripples in the panels, especially on these trim pieces.

21 Likes

What a shitbox.

26 Likes

Are the F-150 Lightning or Rivian not cool enough? (Well, they don’t scream “edgelord wanker” quite the same way…)

29 Likes

I’ve always admired the utilitarian design choices in the Grumman LLV, such as the fact that the (mostly flat) body panels are riveted together and can be replaced individually.

38 Likes

Yes I have. I’m not talking ripples - a trim panel that’s been glued on and removed for repairs is never going back on the vehicle.

16 Likes

it looks suspiciously like the cheapest they could find;

12 Likes

the critical question remaining, are they allowed to muster?

18 Likes

Those are otherwise normal big ol trucks. Granted CyberTruck is also a pickup, but its odd and the design creates the illusion of being compact in photos, so has a similar fundamental appeal to one.

America hasn’t really had cool little trucks in decades but the Maverick and Santa Cruz head back thataway and are obviously strong sellers. EV “utes” are coming by the looks of it.

18 Likes

It strikes me that the bigger issue is the towing failure. That is a commonplace task for a light duty truck. That said, yanking a stuck vehicle often destroys conventional trucks too.

6 Likes

I’m guessing that driving an incel Camino to an outback bachelor and spinster ball wouldconfirm your status…

21 Likes

I’m absolutely loving my little hybrid Maverick. I’ve averaging about 45MPG, which obviously isn’t as good as going all-electric but is absolutely WORLDS better than I was getting in my Frontier and far beyond what I could get in any other ICE truck. Rides comfortably. Bed’s a little short but not egregious. And even with a couple of updates I’m all-in at about $29k, including all taxes and fees.

21 Likes

If the Cybertruck wasn’t attached to Elon, I would at least applaud the effort of making something different.

But - from everything I’ve read, it’s just really badly designed and probably unsafe. It is a cool concept car that either should have been highly refined for sale to the public, or just kept a cool looking concept car.

I predict it will be a lovable flop in 30 years. Where yeah, it sucks, but it’s still kinda neat. There are a lot of past vehicles with that vibe. The original DeLorean was basically the same thing as far as neat idea, not well made.

They had this challenge in Fortnite to get it for free, but I couldn’t do all the missions. (too busy to play with my one friend for the quests). BUT - I don’t think I would have used it because 1) it actually sucks in the game, leaving two of your squad exposed if full and 2) people like me focus on Cybertrucks just to fuck 'em up.

8 Likes

My bro-in-law after like a 2 year wait finally got his and he seems to really like it.

7 Likes

My Audi A3 had trim that was clipped on, but it came loose and there was a TSB to fix it. More clips and glue.

7 Likes

As has been regularly pointed out over at r/cyberstuck, not a single one of these vehicles has experienced a winter yet.

15 Likes

Hidden trailer hitch: Found.
Entire rear bumper: Lost.

Tesla: Life is all about ups and downs.

12 Likes

Vice Tv Nodding GIF by STICK TO SPORTS

17 Likes