YouTuber notices "one slight issue" with Cybertruck

Obligatory Technical Difficulties ‘Two of these people are lying’:

10 Likes

Oh, yes, I knew what you meant. I’m just joking that they’re already bent up from the factory :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

200w (27)

11 Likes

Gumman should have called it “Suburban Excursion Module” or something like this, though.

7 Likes

Cocaine you say?

Makes sense now you say it.

11 Likes

You dropped an N, I believe.
Have one of mine.

Although, now I read it again, se se is quite poetic.
As you were, rob, you poet.
:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Sorry, had already fixed it when that came in!

6 Likes

Oh, well, makes se se I suppose.

14 Likes

This is a beautiful utilitarian truck.
I don’t suppose it comes in matt black with, say, some ropey trim and shite windows?

Asking for a friend.

7 Likes

Two Utes

9 Likes

Probably worse than the Green Pea car.

9 Likes

Did I understand the video correctly? I think it said the frame is cast aluminum. That would be a massive failure, because then yanking a stuck vehicle will always destroy a Cybertruck.

No idea if that frame is the cause for to the fact that the Cybertruck is only allowed in the US and Canada.

6 Likes

I’m not sure what I’m looking at but I see no structural member in line with the tow receiver that might have allowed an alloy to work. Or even if steel, to be durable. From 6:08:

How did this vehicle get an 11,000 lb tow rating?

17 Likes

The bed length just kills me. Why is there no options to fit a piece of 4’x8’ plywood flat? It’s not a thing in most lines of trucks. The point of a truck to me is to carry things longer than 8 feet or pull things. A van would suffice, but I’m less likely to get a new electric version of that.

I have Cybertruck somewhere in the neighborhood. The first time I saw it, they were broken down.

7 Likes

Most of the Cybertrucks I’ve seen have had wraps on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of the reasons why. Tesla’s QC has never been highly regarded.

Yup, and they are fucking enormous in real life. Yet their “futuristic” design ensures it has terrible cargo capacity.

As an aside, I was behind one yesterday and marveled at how tiny its taillights were. It seemed very unsafe.

10 Likes

Plenty of electric vans around here, including pretty much all the delivery vans (postal service and the big companies).

They also don’t have homicidal sight lines and pedestrians killing chic bonnets.

And they are far, far more practical.

15 Likes

I get a whiff of Boeing style regulatory capture from over here.

14 Likes

The DeLorean has somewhat similar styling but it was designed before a load of road safety research which revealed the need for crumple zones and so on. Thus the Cybertruck is a deliberate attempt to maim its occupants as well as other road users.

To be fair, most modern trucks and SUVs are far more hazardous than everyday compact cars and sedans.

6 Likes

This is because they are built to truck safety standards that are considerably less than car safety standards. They also have build characteristics that make them more dangerous (to other non-truck vehicles) like high ground clearance, body on frame designs, considerably more weight, etc.

12 Likes

And not the good kind like you get in Australia’s annual Shitbox Rally, a fundraiser for the Cancer Council. The rally is 4000 km long and the car must cost less than $1500 AUD - about $1000 USD.

ETA: Car prices in Australia are high. Unscientifically, they seem to run around 1.5x US costs after currency conversion. So that $1000 USD price would likely be a $650 car in the US.

Fun podcast about it:

edit:tyop

15 Likes