YouTuber notices "one slight issue" with Cybertruck

c3131c721b393d83

26 Likes

Came here to say this…well I wasn’t going to bring up the F150, but the Rivian is very cool.

5 Likes

A real lightning rod of a product this one. While I am surprised a bit at how much people will pay for “prestige”, I am also a bit surprised at how much scorn the Cybertruck draws. I’m guessing some purchases are made thinking the Cybertruck will increase in value as a collector’s item (a 21st Edsel if you will). Is the Cybertruck worth the money? I don’t know. But in general, I have an appreciation for bold designers who try new approaches to accepted standards. Regardless of how successful (or not) the Cybertruck becomes as a product, it seems to me that, design-wise, some good is bound to result from the venture.

3 Likes

In the US, we have the 24 Hours of Lemons.

10 Likes

Why? It’s a shit design. Utterly unsafe, impractical, expensive, bad build quality (because the low poly design is, wait for it, bad), and really dated looking. It looks like a 1980s idea of a futuristic car (or was that Citroën 1970s?).
There’s nothing good about it at all. It’s an insult to actual designers of cars.

16 Likes

exactly!
if the cybertruck is “bold design”, then, as a third-grade schoolboy, my - ahem - imaginative drawings of vroom-vroom trucks and race cars were portentous of my destiny as a vehicle designer.
that is to say… utter shite!

9 Likes

just wait twenty years. then we’ll see that everything that seems broken now, and all the deaths and injuries… these were actually part of a bigger plan, and only the galaxy brain of elon musk could see the real results /s

eta: i mean you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. even if the eggs are people’s lives and, say, democracy, while the omelette is white supremacy and christian fascism.

10 Likes

You can put the tailgate down halfway, and then it acts as basically a bed extender so that you can carry sheet goods. If I needed to haul drywall, I’d stick a cheap sheet of OSB underneath to give a little more support, but it’s fine for the handful of times this comes up. I also had a regular bed extender added for a couple hundred bucks - probably not necessary with the tailgate, but it gives me a little more bed length for things like hauling yard waste to the transfer station.

In an ideal world, the bed would be a full five feet, but really the only issue that has come up is that it’s harder to find a tent for the bed that will work well with the shorter bed. And it’s so much easier to maneuver the truck around than the Frontier was, so on a day-to-day basis I much prefer having the smaller vehicle versus a longbed truck or a van.

2 Likes

Love that name!

4 Likes

It turns out the Tesla Cybertruck’s quoted bed size is a bit of a lie if you actually want to carry anything substantial. Sure, it is technically six feet, one inch long, but an item that big will only fit the bed if it’s less than 6” tall. That’s not ideal if you want to use your Cybertruck for real truck things.

That’s right. If the object you intend to carry is over 30” tall, it can only be 4” 11” because it no longer fits in the bed with the tailgate up.

5 Likes

But it’s not a Dodge!

4 Likes
12 Likes

And, the (now various) Gambler 500s:

3 Likes

“Ute muster”? Seriously? Those blokes totally passed up the opportunity to name their gatherings “Ute Moot”?
This is what happens when you don’t read your Tolkien.

7 Likes

It isn’t a real truck until some developing world insurgents can turn it into a “Technical”.

IMG_5311

5 Likes

The origin of the concept is with people who did not read any Tolkien, because they were too busy running cattle on stations bigger than New Hampshire.

9 Likes

The more critical question, are they allowed to reproduce?

1 Like

in the new world order, only musk is allowed to reproduce

3 Likes

Only Musk? No-one else?

I think I spot an inherent limiting factor to that plan.

5 Likes

he doesn’t. which i think is the problem

6 Likes