Florida car lot full of vandalized cybertrucks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/22/florida-car-lot-full-of-vandalized-cybertrucks.html

13 Likes

You love to see it!

18 Likes

It’s a shame they’re parked like that, it seems the one benefit of their design is you could stack them like cord wood. Save a lot of space and the ones in the middle would be protected from vandalism. For those who point out that the ones on the bottom will be crushed and all glass shattered, I say we won’t know for sure until we try.

32 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

13 Likes

Usually hate to give advice to car vandals buuuuuuuuttt… ditch the spray paint and start looking into chemicals that are used to etch stainless steel instead

32 Likes

Are we sure that’s not a standard option you can specify? You know, for the “I want a cyber truck, but I don’t want people to think I support Elon” type of buyer.

19 Likes

The body panels are stainless steel. A little acetone, and spray paint comes right off.

Salt air shouldn’t be much of a problem either, if it’s good stainless.

3 Likes

Kelsey Grammer Problem GIF by Paramount+

ETA:

Excerpts from the manual:

“To prevent damage to the exterior, immediately remove corrosive substances (such as grease, oil, bird droppings, tree resin, dead insects, tar spots, road salt, industrial fallout, etc.). Do not wait until Cybertruck is due for a complete wash. If necessary use denatured alcohol to remove tar spots and stubborn grease stains, then immediately wash the area with water and a mild, non-detergent soap to remove the alcohol.”

“Do not wash in direct sunlight,”

Some cleaners and car shampoos contain chemicals that can cause damage or discoloration,”

“Do not use hot water.”

34 Likes

They’ll never sack Rome with those.

16 Likes

Come on, who reads the manual?

27 Likes

The manual you say!

Grind Select Music Video GIF by Moon Bounce

28 Likes

What the fuck are the panels made of that washing in the sun would matter?!

22 Likes

But is it the right kind of protest? /s

18 Likes

American Housewife No GIF by ABC Network

16 Likes

I’m still waiting to see if the classic marine-and-buried-applications solution gets adopted and swapping out your sacrificial anode replaces the classic oil change as the periodic maintenance consumable.

I’m not sure if it would make sense, give that there isn’t an electrically continuous corrosive medium to work with(unlike buried or marine applications); but electric vehicles would also be in the position to potentially do active impressed current protection, or something adapted from the ‘hybrid’ arrangements where the active current is only run when on a charger and the sacrificial chunks handle the rest.

Or there’s paint; if you are a loser who hates innovation.

10 Likes

I’d honestly fascinated to know the details of what they are concerned about(if it’s not just a boilerplate warning). Is it really a ‘heat makes the chemistry go faster’ warning rephrased to sound vaguely useful to people in warm climates; or is there some specific photochemistry case they have in mind where a bit of solar UV might be genuinely relevant?

I tried to find something; but, for someone of my light-undergrad-chemistry-quite-some-time-ago level the verdict seems to be “why yes, as their unique optical properties suggest, metals totally have interesting photochemistry”; but largely from people writing papers about nanoparticles or thin films they are bombarding with lasers or slightly alarming mercury UV lamps, and more often with the goal of making the metal assist with the reaction they are interested in; rather than Journal of Detesting Corrosion and Automotive Detailing Arcana stuff.

5 Likes

It’s probably more like the damn thing gets so hot in the sun you’ll blister your skin leaning over the hood trying to clean it.

13 Likes

I was thinking along the lines of a stencil and a can of Scotch Guard, that way the vandalism doesn’t show up until the Cybertruck gets dirty.

19 Likes

Do not expose the Cyber Truck to light, especially sunlight, which will harm it; do not let it come in contact with water; and above all, never recharge it after midnight.

29 Likes

Approve South Park GIF

4 Likes