Bathroom hand-dryers suck in poo-particles and aerosolize them all over you and everything else


#1

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/07/dead-trees-vs-microbes.html


#2

Hot poop, it has a ring to it.


#3

C. diff is also extremely difficult to kill. Pretty much takes an autoclave, vaporous hydrogen peroxide, or a LOT of ultraviolet light. Forget about Purell or Clorox wipes: they won’t put a dent in the spores of C. diff.


#4

I have always hated those air dryers. Always.


#5

poo-particles

Band Name


#6

dyson just goes and goes too


#7

This is the kind of thing that I had never thought about, but upon hearing, seems obvious to the extent where I wonder why I didn’t think of it on my own.

Machine blows air.

Air is full of shit.

Shit gets everywhere.


#8


#9

And you can’t open the bathroom door with air dryers either.


#10

That’s what the valet is for.


#11

I was thinking “Poo-particles” could be the basis of an exotic new technological breakthrough developed by one of the less popular Marvel scientists.


#12

So, that’s what Kirby Dots are made of…


#13

I wonder if this has any measurable effect on public health.


#14

… that’s what happens when shit hits the fan.


#15

it certainly is the kind of thing that would get the attention of Bad Horse, Thoroughbred of Sin.


#16

[citation needed]


#17

Gladly:

“Spores from all three strains exhibited high levels of resistance to ethanol, hydrogen peroxide, chloroform and heat, although R20291 spores were more resistant to temperatures in the range of 60–75°C. Finally, household bleach served as the only chemical reagent tested that consistently reduced C. difficile vegetative cells and spores of all tested strains.”

So bleach is the way to go, and lots of it. You don’t want to do a half-ass job of it, because while bleach disinfects well, it also releases the antibiotic resistance plasmids in bacteria like MRSA that can transfer from one species of bacteria to another.

Standard UV light from low-pressure and medium-pressure mercury lamps takes an hour or more to disinfect C. diff. Intensity above 0.5 W/cm2, such as from lasers or LEDs reduces that time to a minute or two, but is limited in how much surface area can be treated at a time.


#18

I thought everyone just wiped their hands on their pants or shirts.

Sorry, did I just out myself as a dirtbag?


#19

Where I work, there are at least 2 or 3 people who don’t wash their hands after they use the terlet. Which, I suppose, avoids both the poo-spreading of hand dryers and the paper-wasting of towels.


#20

Ta! So it’s the spores that are problematic rather than the active bacteria. My understanding is that it’s the opportunistic nature of c diff that’s the issue, which is because it’s everywhere, explained by the spores being rather hardy.