Battleship - awful game with sexist illustration

[Permalink]

Can we use video games to prove you wrong, or would that be cheating?

10 Likes

http://lokaltog.github.io/tumblr-argument-generator/ Just follow that link to get this entire discussion board summarized right now before any posts are added.

8 Likes

And not even a nod to brunching shuttlecocks?

Philistine.

3 Likes

Um… I tend to think that the conversations here are a bit more coherent, actually.

Also, from said generator: SCREW YOU, YOU CURVY-MARGINALIZING, ABLE-BODY-OVERPRIVILEGED BROGRAMMER

Don’t marginalize my curves, man.

4 Likes

I am not going to lie, I think the generator would have been closer to the mark if they used a markov chain on some input text. But that’s as far as I am willing to go.

I think you’re showing some brogramming privilege right there…

6 Likes

When my teachers told me knowledge is power I didn’t realize I’d be oppressing people by learning. Now that I know the truth, I like to recite quotes from Conan the barbarian.

3 Likes

Watch out, or I’ll have to deploy some Foucault… he was the humanities answer to all that hard math stuff! Besides… he’d say knowledge IS power!!!

10 Likes

o i did not know that existed awesome

1 Like

9 Likes

A gender studies class would have a field day with that image… it’s so packed full of… stuff.

Also, I love Grace Jones so very much… so very, very much. What a wonderful woman!

11 Likes

I recall the one we had from the 70’s had a boy and a girl playing on the cover. She had just sunk his battleship at G-6.
http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/VirtualExhibits/Whitehill/Battleship/index.html

3 Likes

All things aside, I remember Battleship being a pretty fun game as a kid. I remember getting, and marveling at the electronic version too. It seemed so cutting edge at the time…

4 Likes

If you can’t have a field day with that image, you are doing something horribly wrong in life.

4 Likes

pfffft. girls don’t play games*.

* said in a small voice of bitterness because my sister ALWAYS KICKED MY ASS AT MONOPOLY.

Now, why does * show up as an asterisk in the preview panel, but NOT in the actual comment?

AAARGH! Why does is SOMETIMES not show up as…

UPDATE: using * as alternate to *

UPDATE: NOW THAT’S JUST CRAZY. The * that was showing as text in the post but appeared as an asterisk in the preview CHANGED TO AN ASTERISK IN THE POST after I clicked “save Edit.” and if I leave ad refresh the page…

UPDATE: it goes back to being the &ast. paging @codinghorror

4 Likes

Agreed. Anything with Grace Jones = good times.

It’s been ages since I’ve seen those movies… I wonder if they are on Netflix?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a sexist cover, but I loved that game and owned any boy who was foolish enough to take me on…

2 Likes

don’t be too threatened – if he was serious, he would have referred to n-gram analysis and regeneration. markov chains is for teh newbs.

Or so I was schooled last year. SO embarassed. I took my code and sneaked off the playground first time nobody was looking.

3 Likes

Well that’s just it. They don’t fuck around playing, they’re too busy winning.

Anytime I hear about how women don’t have a competitive killer edge I know for certain the speaker did not have a sister they ever played cards with.

7 Likes