Battleship - awful game with sexist illustration

Oof. So much for King Conan. I mean, it’s on his plate, but he’d better get his ass back to Gold’s but quick.

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Let’s talk about Asterisks!

I always played battleship with a grid on paper as a kid. When I played the pen & paper version with my daughter
my wife was quite surprised at the version, but it is a good way for kids to understand the idea of coordinates on a grid.
The strategy is minimal.

1 Like

The problem is not so much that you see a woman in this particular add making jello and being a house wife. As you said, there are woman who chose to do that and that is very much up to them. The problem is that we almost exclusively, across advertising as a whole, see people happily engaging in their respective gender rolls. How often do you see adds where men are moping the floor, making dinner for the family or cleaning the toilet? Not often. Imagery is very powerful and forms how we see our selves within our culture and how we feel we need to pursue our futures.

1 Like

Hasbro’s 2008 reboot of Risk comes to mind:

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/11/23/the-new-risk-for-men-only/

Yehuda

That’s what she said.

Man, I waited years to try out that joke.

Taste aside, was it actually applicable?

1 Like

Batteship was a great game. As for the ad… it was a representation of the times. Calling it sexist now is kind of a BS move. Kind of like degrading our veterans that fought in WWII as being sexist because they didn’t allow women to fill combat roles.

You’re right. It’s a sign of the times

1 Like
2 Likes

Yep, you got me. Because men and women (mostly) accepting gender-based roles in society and sharing responsibilities is exactly like racial discrimination.

Just because it was a social norm to be sexist doesn’t mean it was alright. So yes, it is just the same as racism, ageism, etc.

4 Likes

Just because it shows the mother and daughter in a traditional role doesn’t make it sexist. There’s nothing about the picture that indicates that “the females are in their place” or other such nonsense, it’s just people doing things. The “We Serve Whites Only” image you linked is demonstrative; creating rules to enforce something that cannot be ignored.

A pre-Civil War photo of slaves working in a field is not racist in and of itself. Adding a slogan such as “The good ol’ days”, makes it unarguably so. Likewise, the “sexism” on the game box solidly fits under the adage of “sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar”. Intent matters.

As does interpretation.

As cah points out, Survive: Escape from Atlantis is available from Stronghold Games. I own a copy and it’s quite nice. They even released an expansion for it. :smile:

Where is Grace Jones choking him?

Wow, something from the 1950s or 1960s was sexist? Shocker!

I still remember with fondness a relationship I was in for a number of years in which my partner actually enjoyed ironing and shoe polishing (having been a Marine, so the work had become second nature). Since those are my two most hated household chores, the division of labor was perfect! I’m one of those people who just sort of keeps things clean without even realizing I’m doing it, but if I never iron or shoe-shine again, I will die a happy woman.

1 Like

I read the cover illustration as dated, but it is clearly being marketed toward boomer boys; fathers who were veterans and probably not very interested in playing with them. To me, It says, “pissed that your sister and mother have such a good relationship (see them doing things together?), but your dad doesn’t want to play with you? Now you can get some attention from dad by playing a game that you both relate to”. It says more about the sexist world and an attempt to sell boys (and maybe their mothers) a relationship with their fathers.

1 Like

i was just thinking… it’s likely that dad served in the navy in WW2. Or that is the implication.

You’re absolutely right. I’m a dad, and I’m responsible for most of the cleaning around the house, and all the “clueless dad” advertising I see is annoying (only mildly, to me any way. In the grand scheme of things I’m not all that concerned about it, and for the most part I’m never exposed to ads anymore). I actually thought this was a parody though, the first time I saw it: