BBS headline mismatch and disconnected comments

PLEAS XENI FIX YOUR COMMENT LINKS! referring to the trump story from tonight and countless others. you click comments and it just feeds back to the post. PLEASE!!!

would you consider listing what browser you’re using or any other relevant specifics. i’m using chrome on a windows 10 laptop and all the links work fine.

I very much hope to learn that the cause of the problem is Xeni just manually breaking the links, then sitting in a darkened room watching the comment threads and cackling like Anne Ramsey

8 Likes

sure, safari v13.1.2 on mac running 10.13.6. i have seen others post this comment too. seems to happen mainly with comment links on posts by xeni, tho. and not all. just sometimes. but enough for me to comment. don’t want to be that asshole. could be me. i don’t know. i am getting older so it may just be me. sorry to bother. good night

1 Like

This issue is server-side and not dependent on client versions of anything.

2 Likes

okay, i just wondered because i wasn’t having any problem with any of the links on the xeni posts today.

1 Like

I would be very surprised if this was relevant. The link points to an empty URL (href="") even in the original page source. When it happens, it probably happens for everybody.

Edit: see https://boingboing.net/2020/12/08/biden-may-offer-china-ambassadorship-to-pete-buttigieg.html . Does the BBS link work for you? Because it’s broken for me at this moment.

1 Like

Unasked-for input here, but one thing to note is that Xeni is one of the original contributers with (I believe) a particularly old and active account, so her archive of posts and related records is probably particularly large. That, and the fact that it’s an intermittent problem is suggestive.

3 Likes

Windows 7 Professional OS and the latest Chrome browser here at work. Sometimes the links work and sometimes they don’t.

1 Like

@codinghorror @orenwolf

I don’t know if it is linked to this issue or is a pure red herring (and if so, apologies for the smell) but I also see, from time to time, Xeni posts that turn up in the BBS long before they turn up in blog view or the main page.

This one was in BBS with post it links to being timed at 4.57am but 20 minutes later it was still not in blog or main view.

Maybe it is just propagation delay through the system but weird that BBS gets it first and that it takes more than 20 mins.

Just thought I should mention it on the remote chance that it may be connected to this and offer further insight. Again, sorry for distraction if not connected.

ETA at the time of writing this ETA, over an hour after the time on the post, the post has turned up in blog view but still not yet on main page.

1 Like

Unrelated to this, why are comments off on lots of XJ’s posts? Is it up to the poster on a post-by-post basis?

@xeni - The “comments” link in the Blogpost links right back to the story - ie - the link address is
https://boingboing.net/2020/12/23/trump-gives-out-more-pardons-and-clemencies-paul-manafort-roger-stone-charles-kushner-and-other-longtime-allies.html

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.