Beach bully cited by California Coastal Commission

Originally published at: Beach bully cited by California Coastal Commission - Boing Boing

11 Likes

Fun fact: California beach access laws are a consequence of the development Sea Ranch, which tried the make their segment of coast private. The backlash created the laws that required coastal public access.

(Sea Ranch is otherwise a very fancy and nice place to stay, and doesn’t really have any beaches to speak of, mostly low cliffs)

16 Likes

Nelson_Ha-Ha

14 Likes

I like the videos where people are fishing and some jerk tries to claim the water as private.

10 Likes

fine the fuck out of her!

9 Likes

Hobby Lobby was out of barbed wire, so she had to use a roll of macrame rope instead.

5 Likes

I have a lot of sympathy for people who feel like their privacy is being infringed upon (especially by inconsiderate tourists), but I also have zero, absolutely zero sympathy for beachfront property owners in California upset about people on the beach. California beaches have always been public - always. (Multiple branches of my family moved to the state in the 19th century. My grandfather talked about traveling from Southern California to Northern California and often having to drive their Model T on the beach because there weren’t consistently roads that they could take.) Property owners knew what they were getting into, and they don’t get to change the rules just because they paid an obscene amount of money for that property. If they don’t like it, they can go buy beachfront property in some state where this isn’t the case. (Though I think every state should have its beaches be public.)

17 Likes

MA lets people own land down to the LOW tide mark, so essentially, if you’re not in the water, you’re on private land. It sucks. I hate it. These are the same people that want the state to pay to bring in sand to “restore” the area when their dunes get washed away in a storm.

13 Likes

As a matter of public policy I suspect that ‘honoring’ their blinkered commitment to defending their imagined ownership by securely fastening them to a section of the beach somewhere below the mean high tide line and letting the ocean claim them would be a little extreme; but I can’t deny that it would be a little tempting.

5 Likes

Oregon law makes coastal land public up to 16 vertical feet from low tide.

Washington unfortunately allows private property all the way down to the low tide mark. Lame.

9 Likes

Naturally, Florida, in keeping with it’s deserved reputation, is an absolute mess legally with regards to who owns the beach. Even the simple “wet sand/dry sand” concept is not really that simple.

5 Likes

In the case of Florida the more appropriate headline seems like it would be “Who Owns the Beach in Florida? And How Long Will it Matter?”

That’s Poseidon’s beach.

8 Likes

Basically “I’m rich and I want you stinking poor people out of my sight. Don’t you dare have fun in front of me.” trumpian much?

3 Likes

Doonesbury had a series of strips on that subject a couple decades ago. Zonker had successfully protested David Geffen’s (real-life) blockage of public access. The access point to Carbon Beach is now named after Zonker in tribute.

5 Likes

I think mostly it’s even more basic than that: “I spent lots of money to buy this property, therefore the beach should belong to me! (even though I know damn well that legally and in every other respect, it doesn’t)”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.