Beautiful time-lapse video of the longest partial lunar eclipse in 600 years

Originally published at: Beautiful time-lapse video of the longest partial lunar eclipse in 600 years | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Early Friday morning, the Moon moved through the Earth’s shadow to create the longest lunar eclipse in almost 600 years.
That’s what Big Cheese want you to think! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

8 Likes

tenor

11 Likes

pointing-that-is-correct

6 Likes

Cool! It was cloudy here on the EC that night/am and couldn’t see a damn thing.

1 Like

Why all the jitter on the time-lapse? It seems like the moon keeps jumping in and out of the shadow, but I don’t think either the moon or the Earth wobble that much in their orbits.

1 Like

I came here with the same question.

2 Likes

The flickering makes it look like inconsistent exposures. A too-long exposure would show the moon’s face under the shadow.

4 Likes

Cheer up. You’ll have another chance in 600 years.

1 Like

It was too cloudy here to see the moon, so I’m glad that I didn’t stay up or set an alarm to catch the sight. Maybe next time.

Same question, but then I remembered that the moon is moving during the time-lapse, so the video probably had to be composited manually to align the images.

1 Like

I also wonder whether it’s clouds passing by, which might have a similar effect to changing the exposure.

1 Like

The photos were taken by the Griffith Observatory. They’re probably quite well practiced at compensating for the relative motion of celestial bodies.

2 Likes

Good point. I just thought it was caused by clouds.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.