Behold the asteroid chunks returned to Earth from Ryugu

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/28/behold-the-asteroid-chunks-returned-to-earth-from-ryugu.html

3 Likes

Neat. I am sure once they figure out the composition of that shiny part, it will confirm it is a specific grade of aircraft aluminum. Though, who knows, maybe there was a shiny bit floating out there for billions of years that glommed onto the asteroid at some point.

5 Likes

Something something Night of the Living Dead something The Andromeda Strain

15 Likes

Hey, based on my completely inexpert observation, my driveway is made out of asteroid!

8 Likes

Likely the space crafts mother packing a hard boiled egg or pickles in its lunch. Same thing used to happen to me. You set the foil aside but it starts to blow away, so you wedge it in a pocket or backpack and three weeks later your mom is asking what is the deal with the foil in your back pack.

Mom, I’m 40, I can clean my own backpack!

11 Likes

If we find it is aircraft aluminum, then how did an airplane get on an asteroid?!?! Checkmate, atheists.

16 Likes

Probably just a discarded alien gum wrapper or something.

10 Likes

It flew there from the Moon, of course.

6 Likes

There is actually kind of a fun YA Sci-fi series that has a Harry Potter feel, but is about kids fighting space Nazis. “Cleo and Ant” I think. The premise is that during WWII every, including Nazis got ahold of interstellar flying space stuff. And since then there has been a secret race to populate planets and fight space battles on the downlow from the earth public. Then politics of space colonies wondering why they need earth in the first place etc. Anyway, just reminded me of this series which is a fun light read.

Simply put, we don’t know what we’ll learn from studying the surface of an asteroid that hasn’t been subjected to the forces of high-speed atmospheric entry until we’ve actually had a chance to study samples from an asteroid that hasn’t been subjected to the forces of high-speed atmospheric entry.

For all we know, asteroids in “the wild” might be covered in previously unknown delicate structures or exotic microscopic life forms that would never survive the heat and forces of an impact with Earth.

9 Likes

Balonium foil!

3 Likes

“What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon!?”

6 Likes

So the probe managed to take a sample of itself.

A little like one of the Russian Venus landers (Venera 14). When the camera cover dropped off it landed right under the surface density probe, so Venera provided excellent data on how compressible the lens cap was.

5 Likes

Jokes aside, it is very cool! I mean, visiting an asteroid and coming back.

2 Likes

Unobtainium has finally been found! #Science!

2 Likes

Of course Rocket Ship Galileo is probably the grandfather of “Moon Nazi” stories

1 Like

A man, another space whale victim. Call the whalers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.