Below the Radar (Issues being eclipsed by coronavirus)

Here’s one of those Tory MPs who said that:

4 Likes

Ugh. Nothing more right wing virtue signalling than the poppy. It’s shame, it used to be a genuinely meaningful tradition and symbol.

7 Likes

It seems like where one Tory leads others follow but not where it matters, which would be resigning…

When you have pond scum like Nigel Fromage criticising this decision you know you done fucked up.

It should be added though that at least the Scottish and Welsh governments are doing the right thing (included in the linked article).

In Scotland, the government has made £10m available to local councils to continue to fund free school meals over the Christmas, February and Easter breaks. Local authorities that offered provision over the October school break can apply to be reimbursed.

The Welsh government has also pledged to extend free school meal provision to every school holiday until Easter 2021, spending £11m on doing so.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Wanted to link to the government petition for anyone who is a UK resident.

7 Likes

Perhaps counting on corporations to police on-line speech was a bad idea after all:

5 Likes
3 Likes

Facebook also blocked the London Anarchist Bookfair last week. It got unblocked eventually, but it was not good in the run up to the event.

5 Likes

Petition: End child food poverty – no child should be going hungry

When the 3000 central American farmers were headed to the U.S. a couple of years ago I sent a not-so-tongue-in-cheek note to my Member of Parliament suggesting :canada: resettle them in the now-arable Clay Belt of Ontario. Support required, for sure, but its potential is to grow enough staples to feed 8 to 10 million people (back of the envelope).

Fast forward today. Instability in production due to the climate emergency is triggering rising crop prices, just what we don’t need at the moment, and we’ve lost the opportunity to put 3000 farmers onto fresh land. :persevere:

3 Likes

A year into their friendship, which was initiated by Stevenson, Barrie wrote to him: “To be blunt I have discovered (have suspected it for some time) that I love you, and if you had been a woman…” He leaves the sentence unfinished.

10 Likes

Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Armenia reports nearly 1,000 military deaths

4 Likes
3 Likes

They added that the male cyclist suffered a minor injury to his arm and was taken to hospital by ambulance “as a precaution”.

I have heard reports that Starmer had his left indicator blinking, but turned right. /s

8 Likes

clara-see-what

7 Likes

I often refer to a Jonathan Pie vid to articulate the sheer fury for whatever government fuckup is in today’s news.

5 Likes

https://6abc.com/traffic/septa-faces-detours-delays-due-to-unrest-across-city/7414010/

SEPTA service facing detours and delays due to unrest across Philadelphia

for any of you relying on public transportation in Philly

4 Likes

The USA and India have struck a new defence pact that will see the two nations share high-quality spatial data and satellite images.

This is an interesting development as readers may recall that India possesses nuclear weapons, a missile capable of 5,000km journeys and a satellite navigation constellation.
[…]
Doing so means that India can, in theory, be more precise should it act in neighbouring trouble spots. With shipping routes from the far east to Europe passing within the range of Indian weaponry, an ongoing border dispute with China bubbling away and Afghanistan well within range, the possibilities are concerning.

The US was a little less diplomatic, framing the talks at which the new deal was signed as important in the context of "defeating the pandemic that originated in Wuhan … confronting the Chinese Communist Party’s threats to security and freedom [and] promoting peace and stability throughout the region.

3 Likes

i was recently binging some “legends of tomorrow” ( a deeply silly show ) and couldn’t get over how the actor playing john constantine was constantly bobbing his body around while keeping his head still.

is this where he got the inspiration from? or is this just standard newscaster flair? he seems like he’s dodging a hail of invisible bullets.

2 Likes

My completely unverified and speculative guess would be that he might have been inspired by The Day Today or Brass Eye, playing a character that’d fit right in on the former show.

1 Like
2 Likes