Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

Continuing the discussion from Ongoing coronavirus happenings:

I thought I’d use this comment to start a spin off thread, specifically for political issues or fall out arising from the pandemic… Mainly because I saw this, and wasn’t sure if it was too much of a derail from this valuable topic…

Seems like the reason for cutting a deal with Netanyahu is in part due to the pandemic and the need to actually have a government to address it. The party is unhappy, though…

20 Likes

Good call @Mindysan33 you linked me because I said emergency legislation was passed today in Ireland to allow the caretaker government to do stuff many other places have the power to do already: force business closure. After passing it the upper house seems to have agreed it is no longer valid and will not be able to pass any more legislation until a new government is formed. By the nature of the election results this will have to be some form of unity govt. The two biggest parties who have held power since the foundation of the states have now allied but still don’t have the numbers. They need a left party. None of them are inclined to join because Sinn Fein, the largest left wing party, and the largest vote in the election, won’t be accepted by the two right wing parties. They know they will be eaten alive in government.

I think we need an actual unity government with sinn Fein also included. It’s not a unity government without and it is a constitutional crisis.

Stay safe all. Hope this works.

12 Likes

There goes any pretense at US democracy.

16 Likes

i wonder who actually wrote those signing statements. obviously not our impeached president himself.

seems to have a pretty deep read on the bill itself, and i kind of wonder the extent to which mcconnell et al wrote the bill in ways to be easily contested.

8 Likes

That’s not how this works. There is no line item veto. He can’t just sign the parts he wants. Congress should withhold the funding until he signs the whole bill.

9 Likes

It’s true, we just have to hope if he tries, he’ll be challenged, though, rather than people just rolling over and accepting it. That depends on the Democratic leadership to step up and do that.

11 Likes
11 Likes

Under President Biden? (sigh) How are we going to pay for that?

8 Likes

Uhhh signing statements aren’t constitutional. Why do these clowns in POTUS think this will work if they goes to SCOTUS? Even Roberts would just roll his eyes and say “no”

6 Likes

And it requires Democrats that are citizens to hold Democratic leaders feet to the fire.

2 Likes

Bush the Lesser got a lot of mileage out of them, and you would have to rely on Roberts to stop it, don’t know how comfortable that makes you.

8 Likes
9 Likes

The fact that this “boggles” CNN reporters minds is proof positive that they don’t deserve their jobs.

11 Likes

It only took something bad happening to him personally to realize that.

Between this and the reports that Trump only started giving a shit about COVID after one of his friends fell into a coma from it, I really do feel like a complete absence of empathy is a driving conservative characteristic.

17 Likes
10 Likes

This shit again. Inslee, I beg of thee please do not grab ankle for this tyrant.

9 Likes

That story falls flat on its face, as it requires Trump to have a friend.

15 Likes

Saying the quiet part loud, as usual. Also,

12 Likes

And yet somehow money will be found to subsidize oil and gas companies.

11 Likes
8 Likes