'Best computer model yet of our universe' revealed today

[Permalink]

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Boing Boing: zine, blog, and back again

So, along the virtual evolution of the universe, which is the probability that within a galaxy like the virtual milky way, from the dust of its exploded stars, the living being who uses a computer was formed - computer included? A favourable case among infinite unfavourable possibilities? Fifty-fifty? To be or not to be, is that the question? Are calculations simplified or made more complex when the subjective self of each one is the entity that is studied? Anyway, what is the relationship between life and immense numbers? Is life a folding process of infinity? Is it just something infinite that would have enough to allow a self, something isolated but of infinite claims? But, is infinity credible within something with a beginning, out of a Big Bang? And is it credible within something with an ending, with the inevitable death around the corner? Along these lines, there is a book, a preview in http://goo.gl/rfVqw6 Just another suggestion in order to free-think for a while

running it on even a state-of-the-art desktop computer would take almost 2,000 years, he adds. Even run across more than 8,000 processors, the simulation still took several months.

Um, would that be three months?

Better computer model:

XKCD

2 Likes

Beautiful

Yes. The set N of natural numbers has a least element (1) but no highest element and it has an infinite number of elements.

The subset of real numbers R denoted by [0,1] has a least element (0), a greatest element (1), and yet still has an infinite number of elements. Somewhat surprisingly, [0,1] contains more elements than N – there are different types of infinity some of which are bigger than others.

What are those massive, seemingly larger-than-galaxy sized explosions in the simulations? Anybody know?

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Boing Boing: zine, blog, and back again

Scaling isn’t linear, sadly. There’s a lot of overhead involved when you go from running a calculation on just one computer to running it on many. For example due to the time it takes to transfer data from the simulation from one computer to another. This all adds up and is why, in the end, it probably takes quite a bit longer than ‘just’ 3 months.

I note Mr Steven Wright is still located at E5.

Everyone help please. I’ve lost my watch in there someplace.

I wonder how many nested/parallel universe simulations there are now? How long will it take to get Illustris to the point where it has some sort of semi-sentient electronic lifeforms like the simulation that we are in?

1 Like

turtles all the way down bro

It’s a physics paper, which means that it’s on arxiv Yay!

Bob fucking damn… which noob over there saved these things as PNG-8s? Such a glorious visualisation of our universe ruined by someone who doesn’t understand when to use which formats. Save for web > Jpeg 100 people. C’mon.

You can’t see him right now: he’s on an intergalactic cruise. In his office.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.