Best way to start a charcoal barbecue

We take one of these when car camping. I was dubious at first, but yeah, we get the camp kitchen going in pretty short order with this tool. I admire the coffee can hack, and wish I’d thought of it. OTO (very hot) H, the handle design of the charcoal chimney goes a long way for ease of handling.

I had some hardware cloth laying around and made one of these in about 10 seconds. Been using it for years. It has great airflow and you get full lighting of all your charcoal.

edit to add: instead of a handle I just use the tongs I keep near the smoker to empty it. The tongs also help arrange the hot coals the way I want them.

1 Like

Yes. While they started off as sausages or steaks, I have seen some barbecued charcoal.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the ketchup!

The last time I thought a metal can might be handy, I went through the entire local grocery store, and basically everything was plastic or foiled cardboard. (or too narrow or small in the case of some larger cans of beans and such)

I love me some commercial chimney starter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.