Bethesda reveals latest Fallout game

I really don’t get this complaint. Can you explain? Because I always viewed the settlements as resource farms. They do all the heavy lifting, I just show up and reap the rewards. Also, if you link your settlements you have an abundance of riches, at every settlement, and you can use any workbench in any settlement and they’ll have everything you ever need. And if you set up shops in your settlements you then earn caps too. Personally I like the crafting and the resources and the settlements. It added a level of reality to the game that I appreciated. Because you would need allies, and access to food and allies and weapons. I find games where you never eat, never sleep, never acknowledge that you’re human to be … I dunno? I find them a grind. Just endless killing and questing without a human dimension seems boring to me.

I’m currently playing on survival, and holy crap are settlements important! Ammo has weight, encumbrance is a delicate balance of consumables and weapons, no auto saves only sleep, and no fast travel. AND you get sick, a lot. (I may get sick a lot cuz I’m drinking puddle water cuz I run out of water a lot.) So you need settlements to sleep, eat, and drink water. Its hilariously fun.

2 Likes

The survival mode i’ve heard is great, friend of mine had taken to playing the one for New Vegas on the highest difficulty. It does sound like it adds a unique experience to the game, though the micromanagement involved is something i don’t like to juggle. You’d figure i would though, i like to play slow and take my time but the survival mode just isn’t for me.

3 Likes

Well I love The Long Dark, which is all about resource management and encumbrance.
“Do I have enough food, water, matches and stuff to build a snow shelter in case a blizzard comes along before I leave my cabin and go all the way across the map to where the deer herd is so I can shoot a couple and drag their carcasses back to my cabin?” LOL
You’d think a game that is 75% walking alone in the snow would be boring, but its not, its really really not.

So yes, I love FO4 on survival. So much running away and hiding! LOL

2 Likes

For me playing Fallout the fun is typically more on the stealth aspect, and also trying to outsmart the AI. I routinely end up hiding in spots where i can cheese encounters. In Fallout New Vegas i learned that with stealth and Sniping skills maxed out i could snipe at extended ranges that the game did not account for. I could wipe out entire enemy squads without getting aggro or triggering the faction reputation system. It was an easy way to farm for loot and ammo since i could kill a platoon, sell everything and come back to continue killing more.

In Fallout 4 i felt that the map was just too big, halfway through the game i started getting fatigued trying to explore everything 100%. So i had to drop my methodical pace and by the end of it i was running and gunning. Still enjoyed the game and kind of want to replay it, but… that map size though.

X that only leads to more X is a description of the vast majority of games I’ve ever played. When I play the game it’s more like swinging a machete that just leads to more swinging a machete.

1 Like

It’s interesting to think about how differently people play the game. I feel like I was always aware of the the possibility of simply “farming water” and selling it to make money, but for some reason I felt like I didn’t want to do that. I was going to say that it “felt like cheating” to me, but I thought about what I meant and realized it means “cheating myself out of the experience of struggling for cash,” which is apparently an experience I value.

@Missy_Pants in the thread talking about having a blast managing inventory weight and @Grey_Devil using console commands or mods to eliminate weight from the game entirely.

I really like that there are so many ways to play these games. I don’t so much mean the fallout thing of having so many designer-intended ways to play (multiple endings, talking things out vs. shooting people) but just that you can really approach the game in different ways.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much what has allowed Bethesda to be successful, they’ve been champions of having easily moddable games but also creating game experiences that can be played and re-played in wildly different ways. The downside is that the main story has typically suffered and their game engines have been pretty ugly and janky, but the enjoyment gamers get out of their titles speaks for itself.

I’m looking forward to seeing what their follow up to Skyrim is going to look like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I disagree. I loved the stories! :smiley:
And I don’t know what is janky about the games? I’ve never encountered any glitches…
Mind you I started with FO4 and went backwards on XboxOne so maybe that was it?

OT (sort of) - seriously thinking of buying a PS4Pro simply to play Death Stranding and Last of Us 2. And yes, it has to be a Pro because 4k is apparently required. Tell me this is dumb. (It is my bday in August tho)

I could expand on my post with some examples but i think that would come across as me being particularly critical of the games. The game engine Bethesda uses has a lot of known limits because of the scope of the interactions and open possibilities they try to account for. Fallout 4 compared to say… Horizon Zero Dawn doesn’t look nearly as good but the former doesn’t give you the toolsets that Bethesda provides.

And the PS4 Pro is likely worth the money if you have the proper TV for it. Do you have a 4K TV with HDR? I have an HDTV, not 4K nor does it support HDR and the games look fantastic on it on a standard PS4 but if i did have a nicer TV set i would seriously consider upgrading the console.

No, we have an HD projector, but MrPants would upgrade up the projector to 4K, and this would be the excuse. LOL so my $500 bday present becomes … uh… significantly more expensive.

I think perhaps because of the games I play I don’t see the limitations.
I really only like survival open world games, or TellTale “Games”. I mean I love Senuas Sacrifice but I can’t get past the first boss level at all, and I know there are three more of those before the final one. Gorgeous but OMG so hard! (See also Outlast2 why is it so dark where are the batteries omg why are these people so scary!)

So I do truly hope that the FallOut76 is single player or 5 person coop… and not MMO… I mean I’ll play it, don’t get me wrong, but if its player vs player all battles all the time, I will have a sad.

1 Like

My hunch would be that the next Fallout would be co-op, making it a PvP game would be a mistake. It’s possible that an online Fallout game could work well but i inherently avoid a lot of online games so if that’s the direction they end up taking it’ll be a pass from me.

2 Likes

If the bulk of it could be played solo, with PvP optional, I would be okay with that. Things like that tend to cut down on the dickery in regular gameplay. It’s when you can’t escape PvP that you really run into problems (“clearly you’re new, so I must headshot you every time you respawn” doesn’t work so well when PvP battles need consent).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.