Bible references make very weak passwords

I know people who do.

1 Like

That password was SO obvious (a synonym of the guy’s own chosen name and the title of a book right next to the computer, if I recall correctly) that I always wondered if it was intentionally chosen to be discovered. For reasons.

Not even mentioning the absurdity of a “password correct but incomplete, please type some more” screen.

6 Likes

Galatians is an opinion piece, not fact.

1 Like

I think the whole sequence is a satire on Hollywood computing, just as Watchmen elsewhere keeps calling out the fundamental WTFs in the entire superhero concept.

8 Likes

I’d be genuinely curious to see a McCandless-style metric of the truthfulness of the Bible.

1 Like

I’ve always been fine varying between using Ezekiel 48:5 and Genesis 3:26. Always kept me safe.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the fact the text has already been translated from original form make that a non-issue?
If you make translated text equal that opens up a whole new can of worms…

1 Like

There’s a password that really says “You just got your ass hacked.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Supposedly, He was also those mythological trickster figures.

I guess he just doesn’t like humanity as much in the future.

Sounds delicious.

5 Likes
2 Likes

jesus69 unavailable for comment.

10 Likes

I’ll see you Austin and raise you Colorado420

Do you find you self beseiged on all sides by the tyranny of hacking men?

2 Likes

Blessed is the whitehat who, in the name of security and data hygiene, shepherds the computer illiterate through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s sysadmin and the finder of lost users.

7 Likes

How popular are Simpsons catch-phrases?

4 Likes

I’m very quickly becoming convinced that all easily remembered passwords, including ones generated by clever mnemonics, are inherently insecure.

3 Likes

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN

God hath applied thy password, and commited it to memory. Thy password art weighed in the balances, and found wanting. Thy data and private images and information is divided, and given to the highest bidder.

7 Likes

Your password is too short.
Doh!

2 Likes

Okay, but remember the story is set in an alternative early 1980s, where even just the idea of having a password on your computer (a standalone early Mac, note) was pretty radical.

And yeah, error messages like that wouldn’t fly today, but it wouldn’t have jumped out back in the day.

That’s for standalone PCs and Macs. Anything networked was a different story. I used to have a summer job in a hospital in the late 80s, in an office. Out of about 30 people, there were only 2 PCs and one network terminal. Each PC was shared by 2 people, was standalone, and was used to run batch jobs, the results of which were copied to 5 1/2" floppy and mailed to the government. The network terminal let us look up diagnostic codes to map to procedure codes.

Neither of the PCs had passwords (though to be fair the data only stayed on them for 24 hours max). The network terminal did, but the whole office knew what it was. Security was achieved via the lock on the office door and ethics. The staff took a lot of pride in the integrity of their work, so the system worked, though I’m sure the security had been upgraded to keep with the times.

4 Likes