Bicycle jousting with boat oars ends poorly

He made out better than Henry II (the French one)

11 Likes

When my Dad was a wee lad, his father and uncles were avid motorcyclists; taking part in hill climbing and tack events. One of these involved getting steel trays, putting a lad, like my father, on each tray, and then dragging them around the circuit at high speed. The good old days. No wonder infant mortality was so high back then.

4 Likes

I first thought this post would be about this traditional sport, although that doesn’t use boat oars, just boats and proper lances.

(Note that while this article is unaccountably only about France, the practice is also traditional in Germany and Switzerland (as mentioned in a very short aside in the onebox) with the ongoing Fischerstechen in Ulm and Bad Kreuznach going back at least to the 15th century, i.e. the time of real jousting as a sport.)

6 Likes
6 Likes

I’d call that a draw. Round 2, commence!

3 Likes

Yikes, and I thought riots after sports games was bad.

3 Likes

Good god, hopefully he was at least a toddler, and not an infant!

2 Likes

I remember being allowed to run completely wild (although not quite that wild); climbing cliffs and crossing rapids and it’s a wonder any of us survived.

5 Likes

Maybe around 9 or 10 years old, I think. Old enough to have a strong grasp; too old to bounce safely.

6 Likes

Chekhov’s boat oars: “One must never place a loaded rifle boat oar on the stage in the headline if it isn’t going to go off. It’s wrong to make promises you don’t mean to keep.” Or something like that. Am I the only one who wanted to know what role the boat oars would have in the outcome?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.