Traditional medieval football game in England ends in (surprise!) a massive brawl (video)

Originally published at: Traditional medieval football game in England ends in (surprise!) a massive brawl (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Traditional medieval football game in England ends in (surprise!) a massive brawl (video)

Begins, middles and ends in… In this case, the brawl is the game.

14 Likes

I attended one of these traditional events in Ashbourne once. The main benefit was that the pubs were all licensed to stay open all day. (This was in the late 1970s before our more modern and expansive licensing regime.)

3 Likes

Usually it is a massive ruck with little movement. It can become a brawl when the stakes get high (the ball moves or gets stuck).
It looks like these guys may have cornered the ball and weren’t letting it out. (??) Or too much booze and someone said something about someone’s mum. :wink:

3 Likes

Of course, even the modern game is plagued by brutal, on-pitch violence… :smile::smile::smile:

3 Likes

Bloody stupid innit?

1 Like

Did you see that ludicrous display last night? The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

11 Likes

The text below the youtube post says that the “winning team” had cornered the ball in the entrance to the WIlliam Hill betting shop. Whichever team is in possession of the ball when the whistle blows, is the winner. All is explained. I love football, as long as it is far, far away from me, and I don’t have to watch it. Notable to see a number of individuals wearing hi-vis jackets labelled “Referee”. I can’t help wondering what they were expected to do.

4 Likes

Am I the only one seeing “This video is unavailable because the account that posted it has been terminated” in the post?

1 Like

Nope. I see that now too. Mind you, if I wanted to see English people punching each other in the face outside of a bookie’s, I could just go out for a walk.

4 Likes

Yell “oi, none of that!” If somebody pulls a knife?

2 Likes

Shame no longer viewable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.