Big trouble for Big Lots: more than 300 stores to close

Originally published at: Big trouble for Big Lots: more than 300 stores to close - Boing Boing

4 Likes

And not gutted by third-party equity? :astonished:

13 Likes

They dedicated a pretty significant amount of floorspace to furniture sales in the recent years so it’s probably biting them in the ass with the current housing market.

6 Likes

The local Big Lots near me turned into a Spirit Halloween store years ago.

4 Likes

This just links their full store list, no indication of what locations are doing any sort of closing sale.

5 Likes

I’ve actually never even been in one of these stores, I don’t even know what they sell there…

2 Likes

Inventory from Target, Walmart, and other stores that didn’t sell. They buy excess inventory in bulk from these other stores and then try to dump in on the public for a profit, but still cheap. You know the clearance aisle at a department store? It’s an entire store of that.

12 Likes

As Rob indicated, they’re like if a Dollar General had any self-respect, or if a Walmart had less.

9 Likes

Nope, just good ole C-suite incompetence.

4 Likes

Also, as @mr_racoon indicated, about half their floor space currently is dedicated to furniture.

4 Likes

Have the executives blamed shoplifters yet?

9 Likes

About 5-6 years ago we would to shop Big Lots, then stopped after learning how proud they are to be anti-union

11 Likes

when I was a teen, they had hilarious advertising circulars in the Sunday paper. black and white illos of the product and the price, and each one had a little comment. except the comments were all non-sequiters. at first you think there was a mix-up, but it was every one, every week.
the only one I specifically remember, which I actually bought, was for a shop vise (which I still have on my workbench today.) picture of the vise. price in big numbers, I think it was like $1.99 or something tremendously discounted (in 90s dollars). the ad copy, in smallish letters, read: “the perfect thing for your holiday parties.”

13 Likes

Wow. I didn’t know I was nostalgic for the bygone era of companies diving due to internal incompetence as opposed to assassinated by parasitic equity.

Here I am though.

10 Likes

If you click on the individual locations it will have a banner at the top of the page that either says, “Closing this location, closing sale going on now. 30% off.” or, “Share your big ideas join today and earn rewards.”

In San Diego County there are 6 locations, 4 of them have the closing sale banner.

5 Likes

There are 3 in my area, with 2 of them marked for closing.

I used to go to Big Lots often, browsing their cheap tool selection and stocking up on cheap snacks.

I now browse Harbor Freight for cheap tools, and BL’s snack aisles have become standardized, with no variation between visits and full retail prices on many items. And too much furniture.

Big Lots is not the bargain store it once was.

1 Like

If somebody was able to shoplift a bunk bed from Big Lots I wouldn’t be upset, I’d be impressed

4 Likes

Ahh, that clears it up. In that case the local one and most of the ones in the state aren’t closing.

2 Likes

Weird, because the one that used to be closest to us didn’t have much furniture (compared to other stores I’ve visited). That store closed at least 5 years ago.

The next-closest store to us, I noticed yesterday (before I read this news), has a “Store Closing (this location only)” banner outside. That store, itself, replaced a Borders Books when those went away…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.